Best Valentine's Day Ever - King Ranch Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Valentine's Day Ever - King Ranch Nilgai

This was the best Valentine's Day ever. I planned a Nilgai hunt in the Norias Division of the King Ranch with my girlfriend, Mary also known here as The Mayor, accompanying me. With a call to the hotel a couple weeks earlier, the manager at the La Quinta Inn in Raymondville received the dozen long stemmed roses in a custom vace, and put them in our room. Mary was very surprised.

My guide was in on my next plan, and the Nilgai bull must have been too.

The first stop was in the dunes not far from the coast. Within 30 minutes we were on a nice group of Nilgai including a herd bull with his harem. He stepped out and gave us a great look at him. I had time to ask questions, evaluate, ask Mary if she thought I should shoot this one, then decide. I have been twice before and hunting these things can be like trying to nail water to a tree, so I decided that a post-mature bull that was trophy status was good enough. Boom. My 300 win mag put him down in short order. Ran 30 yards.

Now, time for the LDPs. Mary and I posed behind the trophy Nilgai. After the pics were done, I gave my guide a thumbs up. That was actually a signal to switch the camera to video. Mary got up and I said "Hold on just a minute. There is something I need to ask you." I took a knee and I pulled the ring from my pocket and I said "Mary, from the moment I met you I knew you were the one, perfect for me. Will you marry me?"

Y'all, she said yes. Mary said yes.

When we got back to the La Quinta they had a bottle of champagne waiting on us! Not bad. Not bad at all.

And here is a giant shout out to Sergio Nuncio at site sponsor Jonathon's Fine Jewelry. He made this ring possible. Any of you guys with the idea for something special for your girl, get with him. He will do you right. And he is one of the nicest guys going. Thank you Sergio!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mary; 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM.

[emoji122] well done sir and congrats to the both of you!

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Congrats on the trophy!!!

The Nilgai ain’t bad either

Happy for you both!

Comment

WOW! Congratulations on both!

Comment

Kool!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Wow! Wasn’t expecting that! Congrats to you both! Kevin, you got a good one!

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

&&^%$%$### my heart is broken! no more happy brithdays for you mayor!!
                  Last edited by waterdog; 02-17-2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I fell out of my chair this morning, when I learned of this.

Way to go y’all.

And Mary, I swear I only told one person.

Comment

Well I’ll be! Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                        Wow! Wasn’t expecting that! Congrats to you both! Kevin, you got a good one!
                        Mary wasn't expecting it either!

And I know just how good she is... She had that ring bloody within two hours of the Nilgai falling. Be still my heart.

And then yesterday and today we processed the whole thing, including making 20 lbs. of breakfast sausage with a TBH recipe that neither of us had tried before.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff, congrats!!

Comment

Wonderful catch Kevin!
                            And congrats to you both.

Great nilgai too!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X