Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have any of y'all ever hunter UNIT 51 in NM? second bow season

Comment

Just an FYI for anybody looking at pack brands. I bought a kuiu pack probably 5 years ago, well a few weeks ago the straps messed up, called on the 30th and have already gotten the replacement straps. They covered return shipping and everything. Great customer service!

Comment

The Elk Thread

I’m very happy with my Kuiu pack and an investment in gear. For what it’s worth, I walked through star thistle and some other prickly stuff in their lightweight Alpine pants and did not get pricked.

I went to the range today and got the sight adjusted out to 50 yards for 525 grain CT Rhinos with 145 grain Muzzys. I’m thinking to hunt with the heavier arrow instead of my 400 grain Cheetahs. I have done 150 grain Magnus Buzzcuts ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys, I put a fresh CR2 battery in my range finder yesterday. When putting it in I thought “I need to post a reminder on TBH”.

There’s fires today in all 3 areas I’m planning to hunt MT with my son.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
            Guys, I put a fresh CR2 battery in my range finder yesterday. When putting it in I thought “I need to post a reminder on TBH”.

There’s fires today in all 3 areas I’m planning to hunt MT with my son.

Good reminder Bill. My 1st area in Idaho is on fire too. On to plan B area. 28 days

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
              have any of y'all ever hunter UNIT 51 in NM? second bow season
              I hunted it first rifle about 5 yrs ago. I hunted the south part without any luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                I hunted it first rifle about 5 yrs ago. I hunted the south part without any luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10-4 im hunting the north end, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  Just an FYI for anybody looking at pack brands. I bought a kuiu pack probably 5 years ago, well a few weeks ago the straps messed up, called on the 30th and have already gotten the replacement straps. They covered return shipping and everything. Great customer service!
                  Kuiu packs are the best I've seen in that price range, they don't handle super heavy loads that well but if you want to be (relatively) comfortable at 60+ lb you'll have to spend twice the cash for something like a Kifaru/MR/SG so for the price Kuiu can't be beat.

I will second their customer service, they accidentally shipped me 2 left gaiters (their gaiters are amazing!) and when i called them they shipped out replacements right away with a label to ship the wrongs ones back to me, no questions asked

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    Kuiu packs are the best I've seen in that price range, they don't handle super heavy loads that well but if you want to be (relatively) comfortable at 60+ lb you'll have to spend twice the cash for something like a Kifaru/MR/SG so for the price Kuiu can't be beat.

I will second their customer service, they accidentally shipped me 2 left gaiters (their gaiters are amazing!) and when i called them they shipped out replacements right away with a label to ship the wrongs ones back to me, no questions asked

Ok so I’m a fan of Kuiu. I use their clothing extensively (almost exclusively) for my hunting needs. But their frames aren’t in the same ballpark as Kifaru or Stone Glacier (or Exo....never used Mystery Ranch). And the cost difference isn’t double.

Kuiu makes an ok pack for medium to light loads. Their bags are awesome. Frame is just so so.

An Icon Pro frame and suspension is going to run you $300 plus shipping. I can get the new Stone Glacier Krux Evo brand new for less than that. And none of the better frames are going to cost you more than $375 or so.

Last edited by RdRdrFan; 08-13-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

I had an Icon Pro 3200 and you’re pretty spot on. The bag is an awesome bag. I’ve had a half dozen different packs, and it’s been my favorite bag. The frame is fine to about 50-60lbs. That said, MR blows them out of the water in my opinion. Even the Pop Up frame carries weight better for me than the Kuiu frame. I’m not trying to say the Kuiu isn’t perfectly serviceable, because it is. But for about the same price, I think you’d be crazy to not at least try a MR or SG.

Comment

Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Primos Hoochie Mamma....here I come.

Carry on with your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Please don't. Get yourself a Sceery Ace-1 elk call or a primos , etc.. The bite and blow calls work great. Carry at least 2 or 3.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Chew, try an external mouth call such as the Phelps EZ Estrous.
                            Last edited by Patton; 08-13-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Have you tried several different reeds? Some reeds don't work for me. I also trim about 1/8" off the sides to get a better seal. The dark blue one from primos works the best for me. I can make all sounds good with it and a few more. Some I can bugle good with, but not cow call, some I can cow call, but don't get a good bugle, some work good for chuckles some not. Try several, I have probably 15 different ones but only use a few.

Make sure you are getting a good seal, get them wet and chew on the edges. no pun intended.

I like open reed and bite calls too, but if they get too wet they will screw up. I always carry a few of those too.
                              Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 08-13-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Chew, keep your teeth closed...it makes a world of difference.

But this is one of the best, easeist, cheapest cow calls I've used.
                                Carlton Calls Li'l Heifer Cow Elk Call -The Li'l Heifer Cow Elk Call is an easy-to-use pinch reed call that makes cow moos and bleats.

And if you haven't already, watch Rockey Jacobson's videos on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X