Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ktex View Post
    Joking aside, I would join and or help out if something like this did exist.
    I've been a member of BHA for a couple months now. I'd certainly be more involved with a Texas chapter as well.

J

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
      I've been a member of BHA for a couple months now. I'd certainly be more involved with a Texas chapter as well.

J

Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by garby View Post
        Same here.
        I'd join in as well. I hunt a lot of public land here in the DFW area.

Comment

I would also!

Comment

I'd be willing to discuss it. After Benbrook it will be Grapevine, at some point Whitney/Aquilla, Hagerman, etc.

Comment

Hords Creek near Coleman used to have a hunt program, no more. Proctor Lake used to allow deer hunting and almost quit the duck hunting at one point. Benbrook used to have a bunch of land. But ACE has been extinguished about 1/3 of it so far. And cut back the permits to 1/2 of what they used to be.

Comment

We are dealing with this in corpus christi right now. There is a small group of residents on the island trying to get the city buffer changed from 1000 feet to 1 mile for duck hunting.

Comment

I would join a Texas Chapter if we had one, Since Kirby is the first president let me know if I can help. It will go away quicker than we think. Last population report I read said roughly 1 person was moving into the DFW every 4 minutes. That's ridiculous. I have been hunting public for 7 years now. We are scrounging every dollar and penny we can find to buy our own piece of dirt so our family will hopefully have a place to hunt for sometime to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well this turned into something! Good to see I'm not the only one concerned!

Right now I'm trying to figure out how exactly corp of engineer property works. I don't know much of the legal jargon as to whether CoE property is considered the same as BLM and National Forest land or what to be honest, but I should know soon.

My next step is going to see what all we can do to be represented by seeing how groups like BHA have dealt with things like this.

At the end of the day, Texas public hunters need a voice. Individually we are quite unlikely to be heard, but if we can know about issues and work together to get ahead of them, then theres a real chance of holding on to what we have.

Rest assured that doing nothing is a sure way to lose what we have.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I bet Cable Smith (Cable here on the GS), from DSC'S Lonestar Outdoor Show, would have a great amount of resources and contacts that would be beneficial!

I'll reach out to him and see if he would/could join in on the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                        Well this turned into something! Good to see I'm not the only one concerned!

Right now I'm trying to figure out how exactly corp of engineer property works. I don't know much of the legal jargon as to whether CoE property is considered the same as BLM and National Forest land or what to be honest, but I should know soon.

My next step is going to see what all we can do to be represented by seeing how groups like BHA have dealt with things like this.

At the end of the day, Texas public hunters need a voice. Individually we are quite unlikely to be heard, but if we can know about issues and work together to get ahead of them, then theres a real chance of holding on to what we have.

Rest assured that doing nothing is a sure way to lose what we have.
                        This is great, Kirby! Everything we do starts with a first step. Didn't know what you'd be digging up when you started this thread, did you?
                        I've often thought we needed this, and I'm happy to join in. Fighting for public lands has really become a hot topic for me. In regards to COE, I've always been thinking "How can we as hunters help you". You, being the COE. I think that's probably the biggest thing we can do to protect our abilities to access those lands. What does it take to manage these lands. What kind of money can we invest. What kind of supplies can we gather and donate. What kind of time can we collectively gather to help. How can we help you, the COE, improve these lands within your mission and at the same time help ourselves by protecting our access to the lands, gaining more lands to access, increasing animal numbers, etc etc etc.

God, how many years have we had discussions about how the COE should manage the lands and hunting programs at these places?

J

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                            This is great, Kirby! Everything we do starts with a first step. Didn't know what you'd be digging up when you started this thread, did you?
                            I've often thought we needed this, and I'm happy to join in. Fighting for public lands has really become a hot topic for me. In regards to COE, I've always been thinking "How can we as hunters help you". You, being the COE. I think that's probably the biggest thing we can do to protect our abilities to access those lands. What does it take to manage these lands. What kind of money can we invest. What kind of supplies can we gather and donate. What kind of time can we collectively gather to help. How can we help you, the COE, improve these lands within your mission and at the same time help ourselves by protecting our access to the lands, gaining more lands to access, increasing animal numbers, etc etc etc.

God, how many years have we had discussions about how the COE should manage the lands and hunting programs at these places?

J
                            I volunteered to work with the COE at Lake Lewisville a few years back. I put in about 40 hrs of labor, mulching trails, helping to clear invasive brush, cut and burn trash trees to clear up some native grasslands, and I also helped move the electric wire/fence to a new location so we could later move the bison herd to a new grazing area. I know they are always looking for any type of volunteer help.

Maybe, getting groups together to go assist them would be a perfect way to start. They have educational programs and community functions that always need a few more hands. Maybe we could establish volunteer days in different areas of the state?!

Comment

"In regards to COE, I've always been thinking "How can we as hunters help you". You, being the COE."

I've actually been over to the Fed Building in Fort Worth and met with the COE HMFIC (my office is just across the street). Nice people, good ideas, but just like my Lake Whitney survey and 5 questions and my responses, never heard a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                                "In regards to COE, I've always been thinking "How can we as hunters help you". You, being the COE."

I've actually been over to the Fed Building in Fort Worth and met with the COE HMFIC (my office is just across the street). Nice people, good ideas, but just like my Lake Whitney survey and 5 questions and my responses, never heard a thing.
                                An organized group, such as one backed by BHA can do wonders. Much more energy and focus vs a single individual. Persistence is key.

Comment

Working...
                                X