X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a good day for Savage Arms

Good lord.

Comment

Bad deal, article said right hand the picture is his left.

Comment

Dang

Comment

Looks like a 22 RF, 22 Magnum, or a 17 RF. Was there something plugging up the barrel.

Comment

The article states it was a muzzleloader with bad metallurgy

Comment

Holy ****!

That had to hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Advertised as "smokeless powder capable." Who would have guessed the guns would start blowing up.?????

Comment

Yea multiple lawsuits already settled and more coming down the pipe...

Comment

Not a good day for Savage Arms

The article is about muzzle loaders. And mention at least 3 different cases.

The rifle shown, does not appear to be a muzzle loader (the bolt is throwing me off there).

Savage claims that people are blending powder for some reason and that is causing the blowups.

Sounds confusing to me. Is it a product failure, or misuse? Can a forensic chemist isolate whether powder was blended?

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                    Last edited by Gummi Bear; 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Advertised as "smokeless powder capable." Who would have guessed the guns would start blowing up.?????

That was my first thought as well. You slightly over charge with black powder odds of big bang are low. But it doesn't take much with smokeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good reason to shoot a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post

The rifle shown, does not appear to be a muzzle loader (the bolt is throwing me off there).

Savage claims that people are blending powder for some reason and that is causing the blowups.

Sounds confusing to me. Is it a product failure, or misuse? Can a forensic chemist isolate whether powder was blended?

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                          the one in the pic is in fact a muzzleloader, you can see the ram rod holder on the bottom of the barrel

Comment

I dont see a muzzle loader on their site,so guessing these guns are older

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post

bolt action ML's were developed in the early 1990's and Savage was the first company to offer a production "bolt action" ML in 2000. Rifles were designed to use 209 shot shell primers and smokeless powder. One of the first Savage M10ML's blew up in 2004, as a result of the poor breech plug design.

There are close to a dozen "blow ups". The pics all look eerily similar with the point of breaking (explosion) at the recoil lug, Savage nut, and breech plug location. The Savage M10ML's were produced from 2000 until 2010 when they were discontinued. Savage offered a M10ML II in 2012 that was a special order only. IIRC, sales were poor and that too was discontinued. Remington currently produces a bolt action ML, not sure who else does.
                              Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-06-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X