No announcement yet.

Wood = Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some great looking arrows. I bet they shoot as well as they look with those tight specs.

I love good wood arrows. It seems every time I get or make a nice set I break 2 or 3 the first week of shooting them. I have an old set of 3 Rivers pre-stained arrows that I have had for years, lol.

Comment

Nothing more therapeutic than building up a bunch of poc arrows, I can even smell one after breaking an arrow and not feel quite so bad about it.

Comment

I know this is going to be a opinion based question. BUT where do you buy your shafts? I have been planning on ordering from Surewood for my Douglas fir, but have not committed anywhere yet. Does not need to be the BEST there is, but a good set of shootable shafts in either Douglas Fir or POC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
          I know this is going to be a opinion based question. BUT where do you buy your shafts? I have been planning on ordering from Surewood for my Douglas fir, but have not committed anywhere yet. Does not need to be the BEST there is, but a good set of shootable shafts in either Douglas Fir or POC.
          Check into Sitka spruce shafts. They are 4 times as strong as cedar but weigh less.

Comment

Raptor Archery. He has several different wood shafts and makes good products. Might not be cheap but I've always gotten quality from Ted.
            Alaska yellow cedar is also a good wood. I try to find nice heavy shafts in a 11/32 tapered shaft, better penetration for me with my 49-50# draw weight. Quieter too.
            Anybody else use 4 fletch ?

Comment

I will probably be the <1% here, but I like as little fletch as I can get away with. REALLY good tuned arrows do not need much fletching. I have hunted the past few seasons with 3- 2" fletchings. I stepped up to 3" this year and the woods pictured were traded with 5" fletchings already in place. I know I will not do that when I make my own. The 2" worked pretty well with my carbons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                I will probably be the <1% here, but I like as little fletch as I can get away with. REALLY good tuned arrows do not need much fletching. I have hunted the past few seasons with 3- 2" fletchings. I stepped up to 3" this year and the woods pictured were traded with 5" fletchings already in place. I know I will not do that when I make my own. The 2" worked pretty well with my carbons.
                I like plenty of fletching and use 5". I consider my arrows to be well tuned and could get by with 2" fletching. But, I am a hunter and sometimes find myself shooting from awkward positions. If I pluck the string or short-draw, a 5" fletching will quickly correct the arrow and keep me on target. A 2" will not. 2" are fine on the target or 3d range, but fall short in the hunting woods.

Comment

I started with carbons but shoot nothing but woods now. Those flight arrows are a pain though. Arvin.

Comment

Thought I should do some updates. These are the remainder of what I traded into.
                    Then a few pics of some random shooting. I'm liking the wood flight. Somehow it's just more relaxing. I tried rotating the pic, but for some reason it keeps turning itself back on the page.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dry Bones; 01-23-2018, 10:07 PM. Reason: sideways pic

Comment

Sorry for the big pics. Missed the set. I'll try again
                      These are just a few from the different woods I now have. Notice the middle arrow. It a cane arrow with stone point and self knocked. Knapped and made by Jeff Freeman.
                      Attached Files

Comment

All of these have the longer fletchings (5"), which is fine and I will leave them this way. BUT my first made arrows will be much shorter, like my carbon arrows. Just my preference. None of the deer or pigs that I have been fortunate enough to take have minded a 2 or 3" fletch yet so I will keep doing what suits me.
                        I realize there are advantages to using the longer fletchings as Phillip has pointed out. I just really like the shorter feathers with less wind noise,... and the look.

Comment

Working...
                        X