No announcement yet.

How do you tell your wife no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come down to Fal...get the tractor & dig a hole. I'll put you out of your misery.

I like ya too much to see you deal with this!!

Comment

This is so simple, yet so hard for so many of you......

On an unrelated topic, does anyone know where I can find some cardboard boxes cheap?

Comment

lol.

small world.

I built several dozen MD plans - french country we called them back then.

Built in Santa Maria, all up and down Jefferson, Prairieville -- then the bottom fell out of the market and we bolted outta there.

that was **** near twenty years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          lol.

small world.

I built several dozen MD plans - french country we called them back then.

Built in Santa Maria, all up and down Jefferson, Prairieville -- then the bottom fell out of the market and we bolted outta there.

that was **** near twenty years ago now.

The problem is the market here didn’t change in 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            The problem is the market here didn’t change in 2008.

that is correct -- it was 7-8 years prior to that when we oversupplied the market.

Our fault, but it ended really badly for several builders around that time before it finally turned around.

Comment

How do you tell your wife no?

Son, it is quite simple really.

1.) You either grow a pair and explain the rules to her, or

2.) You ask her politely and embarrassingly to retrieve yours from her purse and return them to the rightful owner while promising future obedience.

Comment

Why do 2 people need a 5 bedroom house?

Comment

My advice is find a compromise. Sit down and really talk to your wife and really listen to what she is saying. Why? Well, you said you didn't have a plan and you didn't know too much about money... this means you might not really know what you can or can't afford. I have this problem too.

When my wife told me that she wanted a new house (she raised hell from day one about my decision to buy us a house on a 8,000 sf lot 8 years ago) I initially thought it didn't make sense. Yes, I was tired of arguing with her but I also didn't fully understand our financial picture. My wife keeps up with all the bills, taxes, accounts, investments, etc. Once we sat down and really talked about it I found out WHY she felt the way she did. Turns out we were overpaying on taxes in our current house and it wasn't appreciating at all! For roughly the same amount of money we are building a bigger house on 2.5 acres and I couldn't be happier now! And my wife is thrifty. She saves like crazy and we've never lived above our means. You have to talk to her. Find out how much equity you've got in your current house and if once you sell it that will fund the move into the new one. If it's a wash to move and your payment only goes up a $100 or so a month you will probably feel silly about all the stress you put yourself under.

Comment

Sounds like you've already conceded.

Comment

Originally posted by adrianastepheny
                      Why is it important to say know to wife?
                      The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

--Socrates

Comment

On a serious note, figure out how much house you can pay off in 5 years if income stays the same. Go over an interest calculator with her. If you finance $400K over a 30 year term at 4.5% interest you are paying $330K in interest! I am aware of all of the arguments of present value vs. future value of the dollar, mortgage interest deduction etc.; however, interest should make you want to puke. Tell here there will be sacrifices as well. No new cars, trucks, bags or shoes until paid off. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          On a serious note, figure out how much house you can pay off in 5 years if income stays the same. Go over an interest calculator with her. If you finance $400K over a 30 year term at 4.5% interest you are paying $330K in interest! I am aware of all of the arguments of present value vs. future value of the dollar, mortgage interest deduction etc.; however, interest should make you want to puke. Tell here there will be sacrifices as well. No new cars, trucks, bags or shoes until paid off. :-)
                          Bringing logic and facts to a discussion with most women is akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight. Good luck.

Comment

It is emasculating to admit, but my wife makes more than me, quite a bit more. We still discuss all financial decisions together. She is pretty level headed when it comes to money. But the few times I have adamantly disagreed with a purchase, I just say no and explain why I feel so strongly against it. Honesty and open communication is key. At least for us it is.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                              It is emasculating to admit, but my wife makes more than me, quite a bit more. We still discuss all financial decisions together. She is pretty level headed when it comes to money. But the few times I have adamantly disagreed with a purchase, I just say no and explain why I feel so strongly against it. Honesty and open communication is key. At least for us it is.
                              That's not emasculating. That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                                Not a bad idea since he just got a new truck, made it in just before the cut!

Comment

Working...
                                X