Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s See Your Lightweight (Mobile) Public Land Setups! (Stands/sticks & climbers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s See Your Lightweight (Mobile) Public Land Setups! (Stands/sticks & climbers)

Hey folks! I’ve had a few people ask me how exactly I haul my stand in and out of the woods since I hang and hunt. I started out with a climber in 2011, but a couple years ago I switched to an XOP Vanish Xt (pretty much a lone wolf clone, same original designer for LW).

Anyhow, I’ve looked at Gameplan Gear’s TTS (they’re now out of business), the Sitka Tool Bucket, and other frame pack options. But so far nothing has beat my Molle II straps attached to the bottom of this stand.

So how do I carry and attach it? Well, these aren’t the best pics but here’s a step by step I took the other day. Here’s what it looks like before carting it around. backpack and sticks attached.

Website photo

stand with Molle II shoulders straps and kidney belt attached

As for the sticks, I’ve gone with some X-stand mantis sticks, but I’m debating replacing them with Hawk Helium, XOP or Lone Wolf sticks with the versa button mod. Regardless of what I go with, and this is likely the most important part of this post, I’ll be replacing the buckles with 8mm static line. This stuff has saved a LOT of weight but a lot more time and is a heck of a lot more quiet! Plus the rope distributes the weight more evenly, so when you swing it around the tree in the dark it’s way easier to catch than playing sling-buckle. The other nice thing is that you can make the rope as long as you like! I have mine set at 8 foot, loop included. This rope can be purchased at any store that sells climbing spec rope. I bought mine from REI.

Stick attached to tree. Around the button the ropes kind of have this Chinese finger trap type motion that tightens and pops into place. Simply hitch it off and the weight won’t allow it to move.

So, how do I get in the tree?

Well from ground level I attach the first stick about shoulder height. On my first stick I have attached a 3 foot loop of mil spec tubing to put my foot in. This gives me a bit more height.

After attaching that stick, I put my lineman’s belt on the tree. THIS IS ESSENTIAL. I can’t stress this enough as I would fall off the tree leaning back if I tried this without one.

Once the first step is on the tree, the treestand goes on my back with a pull up line attached to my bag, and a pull up line from my bag to my bow. It can be hard setting em out to make sure they aren’t tangled, but I want to be in the tree IN ONE TRIP.

On my harness I have a paracord loop on each side. One stick goes in the loop on either side, like so.

I then put stick #2 (after attaching lineman’s belt and stick #1 with the tube loop) on top of stick one and climb up. Then I attach it. Then on to the next step til I get to the top. I get there I take the stand off my back, attach my tree strap (which my harness will connect to) then attach the stand to the tree. I couldn’t get pics of this, but if you google “cam locking a tree stand” you can get it done with a single strap. You do this by attaching the strap to the tree, lifting the platform, then dropping your knee onto the seat with the platform slightly elevated. Then lower the stand platform and it will wedge the stand into the tree, providing for a VERY solid platform. If you’re not comfortable with a single strap, XOP has a button for the second strap but I don’t find this necessary.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!

This whole setup weighs about 20-25lbs. This jumps to around 30-35 with my backpack, which I attach to the stand with bungee straps and my lineman harness which doubles as a tie down strap.

With all of this, I can usually be up a tree and hunting in 10-15 minutes from the time I get there to when I’m ready. I’m sure I could pare it down some with practice but I’m never in that much of a hurry since I’m usually up hiking early.

If you have a similar setup or any tips or critiques, I’d love to see them! Share what you got! Maybe you have something better that I haven’t thought of! view from the tree [emoji3]

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
    Hey folks! I’ve had a few people ask me how exactly I haul my stand in and out of the woods since I hang and hunt. I started out with a climber in 2011, but a couple years ago I switched to an XOP Vanish Xt (pretty much a lone wolf clone, same original designer for LW).

Anyhow, I’ve looked at Gameplan Gear’s TTS (they’re now out of business), the Sitka Tool Bucket, and other frame pack options. But so far nothing has beat my Molle II straps attached to the bottom of this stand.

So how do I carry and attach it? Well, these aren’t the best pics but here’s a step by step I took the other day. Here’s what it looks like before carting it around. backpack and sticks attached.

Website photo

stand with Molle II shoulders straps and kidney belt attached

As for the sticks, I’ve gone with some X-stand mantis sticks, but I’m debating replacing them with Hawk Helium, XOP or Lone Wolf sticks with the versa button mod. Regardless of what I go with, and this is likely the most important part of this post, I’ll be replacing the buckles with 8mm static line. This stuff has saved a LOT of weight but a lot more time and is a heck of a lot more quiet! Plus the rope distributes the weight more evenly, so when you swing it around the tree in the dark it’s way easier to catch than playing sling-buckle. The other nice thing is that you can make the rope as long as you like! I have mine set at 8 foot, loop included. This rope can be purchased at any store that sells climbing spec rope. I bought mine from REI.

Stick attached to tree. Around the button the ropes kind of have this Chinese finger trap type motion that tightens and pops into place. Simply hitch it off and the weight won’t allow it to move.

So, how do I get in the tree?

Well from ground level I attach the first stick about shoulder height. On my first stick I have attached a 3 foot loop of mil spec tubing to put my foot in. This gives me a bit more height.

After attaching that stick, I put my lineman’s belt on the tree. THIS IS ESSENTIAL. I can’t stress this enough as I would fall off the tree leaning back if I tried this without one.

Once the first step is on the tree, the treestand goes on my back with a pull up line attached to my bag, and a pull up line from my bag to my bow. It can be hard setting em out to make sure they aren’t tangled, but I want to be in the tree IN ONE TRIP.

On my harness I have a paracord loop on each side. One stick goes in the loop on either side, like so.

I then put stick #2 (after attaching lineman’s belt and stick #1 with the tube loop) on top of stick one and climb up. Then I attach it. Then on to the next step til I get to the top. I get there I take the stand off my back, attach my tree strap (which my harness will connect to) then attach the stand to the tree. I couldn’t get pics of this, but if you google “cam locking a tree stand” you can get it done with a single strap. You do this by attaching the strap to the tree, lifting the platform, then dropping your knee onto the seat with the platform slightly elevated. Then lower the stand platform and it will wedge the stand into the tree, providing for a VERY solid platform. If you’re not comfortable with a single strap, XOP has a button for the second strap but I don’t find this necessary.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!

This whole setup weighs about 20-25lbs. This jumps to around 30-35 with my backpack, which I attach to the stand with bungee straps and my lineman harness which doubles as a tie down strap.

With all of this, I can usually be up a tree and hunting in 10-15 minutes from the time I get there to when I’m ready. I’m sure I could pare it down some with practice but I’m never in that much of a hurry since I’m usually up hiking early.

If you have a similar setup or any tips or critiques, I’d love to see them! Share what you got! Maybe you have something better that I haven’t thought of! view from the tree [emoji3]

Whoops. Double post

Comment

LW Hand climber. I strap a pack on the back of the stand when walking in . Weapon changes depending on season. I love it for public land ... it allows me to walk in over a mile no problem.
      Last edited by Sabineshooter; 11-15-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Kirby I just picked up a xop vanish. Does your seat leveling bolt rattle? Mine is loose and rattles bad.

Comment

Really looking to get away from the climbers and transition to a good lightweight pack in stand myslef.
            Dan Infalt of 'Hunting Beast' should be releasing his new stand in 2018 so I'm kind of holding out for that little gem. Supposed to be lighter than the Lone Wolf. He's coming out with some sticks too. With Dan's attention to detail and machining background I look for the stand to really set the bar!
            Here's a pic of his initial design which has changed some, but it gives a visual idea of the setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I watch Hunting Beast videos on YouTube. Quite the woodsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaytx View Post
                Kirby I just picked up a xop vanish. Does your seat leveling bolt rattle? Mine is loose and rattles bad.

Not during transport. May wanna try waxing it maybe? Sounds odd! I strap mine down to itself, but I also athletic taped the contact point where the screw bolt hits the seat post.

Comment

I use a Hawk Helium XL stand and Helium climbing sticks. I also pack in a day pack to haul my harness and lines, as well as all other items I’ll need. If I’m setting up in a tree for the first time, it takes around 15-20 minutes to get settled in. If I’ve prepared the tree ahead of time, it’s more like 5-10 minutes. I really like this set up. It allows me to be mobile, yet comfortable to stay all day.

Last edited by Slow&Steady; 12-27-2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Back up, what are you all running with this year?

Comment

I've got this one for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Old faithful spikes & modified lone wolf sticks. Lone wolf alpha 2 stand.

Several viper climbers too. Depending on where I’m going and if I’ve been there before I’m not opposed to the climber... but going blind, lone wolf. And going far... spikes
                        Attached Files

Comment

I got the vanish and the hawk sticks this year. I’ll probably get a saddle later in the year after I get a bit more cash saved up. I wanted to get one when I got the vanish but the wait time was just to long

Comment

Not completely lightweight but it worked great last year. Carried on my shoulder 1.5 miles in and about .5 mile out (different route after a kill). I've got a couple lock on stands I'm going to try to use this year, much less bulky to carry.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Not completely lightweight but it worked great last year. Carried on my shoulder 1.5 miles in and about .5 mile out (different route after a kill). I've got a couple lock on stands I'm going to try to use this year, much less bulky to carry.
                              Is that a Millennium Tripod?
                              I'm glad to see that it is easy to move around.

I purchased a Muddy Nomad tripod thinking it would be a less expensive version of the Millennium, but at 2' taller and 31 pounds heavier it was not easy to move around at all...especially solo.

I ended up going back to lock on's, but I like the versatility of a tripod.

Comment

Working...
                              X