DIY Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
    That fan will be as loud or louder than your Husky...
    Ok What inverter has the quietest fan?

My husky didn't use to be as loud as it is now.

Comment

Wish I could help with that one...my fans are loud too. That's one reason my setup is in my shop and not in the house.

Comment

or just take the hearing aids out...oh, wait, that only works for me...sorry....but then I have a wife, and this helps here as well....

On a side note:
        can you open the inverter and clean and lube the fan?

Comment

After a little googling I think I will just build a box with some foam on the side the fans are on. The box will be open-ended on the side opposite the fans so that there is plenty of air-flow.

This should keep the new inverter cool and a little quieter.

Comment

There you go!

Comment

I've got a 1,000 watt Xantrex power inverter and it's fans are pretty quiet. It only turns the fans on when the temp gets up there so they aren't running all the time. The bigger the load you put on it, the quicker the fans will turn on.

It's bedtime now but I'll try to post a link tomorrow of the model of inverter I've got. It is a pure sine wave, and when I bought it a couple of years ago it was close to $300 for it.

Comment

Here is the power inverter that I am running right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Prowat.../dp/B002I04A74

It has come down in price since I bought mine. It is a GREAT power inverter, I just wish I would have bought a larger one. My next inverter purchase will probably be one that is about 3,000 watt continuous.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    and a "few" of them, you could say that, yes. @ 1,500 lbs worth

Yeah, I was really shocked to see the suspension sitting on the helper springs after all the fork lift backed off. I then read the shipping label on the box, 1550 pounds!!

Comment

So I have an off grid cabin, no water, no electricity - so here is my plan and what I have been doing so far.

Been using 2 deep cycle marine 12 volt batteries tied together to power up laptop, charge laptop, 6 volt batteries for spin feeders, cell phone, 3 to 4 lights usually only 1 or 2 at any one time for the past 5 months and have never ran out of power. I now want to expand my system and only want to do this once – cannot afford mistakes.

What I want to power use in my cabin – here is my plan

-Running water pump for water coming off the house - 250 gallon roof catching system - low pressure
                      -Small TV to catch weather if bad occasional or small use
                      -One to 3 lights at any one time but small 9 or 6 watt bulbs could use up to a total of 5 at one time
                      -In IT so on the Laptop a lot, charge phone, Wi-Fi, laptop charges - yes-Verizon tower 1 mile away so I can work from the cabin sorry already told boss.
                      -Microwave on a very small scale
                      -Maybe a toaster for 1 or 2 pieces of bread – I can toast them on the stove if needed
                      -5000 watt AC if very hot - Texas can be hot
                      -Fans most of the time
                      ======================================
                      Renogy Solar 400W Poly Starter Kit :4pc 100W Solar Panel +30A Charge controller - not sure what I need to do with regards to the charge controller

Power Bright PW3500-12 Power Inverter 3500 Watt 12 Volt DC To 110 Volt AC

EdgeStar - 80 Quart 12 Volt DC Portable Fridge/Freezer - Gray

4 - Deep Cycle trolling motor batteries

Use cabin only on Weekends - so do you feel this will meet my needs? I am keeping a watchful eye on the specifications on appliances to keep things as low as I can.

Comment

WOW is all I can say!!!!

I now have rated 7,830 watts and 64.8 amps at 72 volts (18 panels) and 1,800 watts and 24 amps at 24 volts (12 panels)! Now, I will not realize those values because the original glass on all are shattered. I will have to repair them all and should see 2/3 or so of their rated values ex voltage. This is still far more than we will need and I will more than likely put some up for barter.

Here is a pic of the 72v panels rolled up and stacked (yes, they are flexible). Oh, and thank you again David (91cavgt)!

Comment

wow.....let me know if ya need help

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                            wow.....let me know if ya need help
                            After we unloaded them we metered one of the 72's and 24's in the shade and am impressed.

Will do brother!

Comment

Here are the specs on the big panels, Sunpower 435's:

Here is the official datasheet with electrical and mechanical characteristics, test conditions, warranty and certifications for the Sunpower E20 435 watt solar panels, model # SPR-435, SPR-435E, SPR-435NE, SPR-E20-435, SPR-435NE-WHT.
                              •STC Peak Power (+/i5%) Pmax: 435 watts
                              •CEC PTC Rating Pmax: 400.2 watts
                              •Module Efficiency: 20.1%
                              •AC kWh generated based on NREL PV Watts estimate
                              •AC power monthly: 52.5 kWh
                              •AC power per year: 630 kWh
                              •Rated Voltage Vmp: 72.9 V
                              •Rated Current Imp: 5.97 A
                              •Open Circuit Voltage Voc: 85.6 V
                              •Short Circuit Current Isc: 6.43 A
                              •Maximum System Voltage: 1000 V IEC, 600 V UL
                              •Series Fuse Rating: 20 A
                              •Solar Cells Technology: 128 Maxeon mono-crystalline
                              •Front Glass: High transmission tempered glass with anti-reflective coating Shattered
                              •Dimensions: 81.36" x 41.18" x 2.13" inches
                              •Weight: 56 lbs
                              •Junction Box: IP-65 rated with 3 bypass diodes
                              •Output Cables: 27.55 inches, MC4 multi-contact connectors
                              •Frame Construction: Anodized aluminum alloy type 6063, silver No frames
                              •Operating Temperature Range: -40F to +185F
                              •Maximum Wind and Snow Load: 50 psf, 2400 Pascals, front and back
                              •Hail Impact Resistance: 25mm, 1 inch hail at 23 m/s or 51 mph
                              •Product Warranty: 10 years
                              •Power Warranty: 25 years
                              •Certifications: UL listed (UL 1703), Class C Fire Rating

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 10-23-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Used solar electric equipment including, power inverters, sloar modules, solar panels, wind generators, propane refrigerators

Comment

Working...
                                X