Home made receiver hitch game hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made receiver hitch game hoist

Calling all fabricators (and I dont mean liars!). I have been working on a game hoist in my garage and was wondering if any of you welders out there have made your own. I made several but have not made any that swivel. Have any of you made swivelers yet, and if so, how? Im sure there is a bearing of some sort involved. Personally, I never needed one to "swivel" but it seems to be the rage now.
    I am also planning on fabbing a light fixture of some sort. One that extends and retracts and plugs into your trailer lights. I am not an electrician so I need some input on this as well. Thanks in advance.

Search TBH both on the Campfire and the DIY section for game hoist. I know I've seen some posted with the bearing you want. Post this on DIY and then take pictures as you build it and post 'em up.

I throw a rope over a tree limb or in a barn so don't need one.

Comment

You can buy the whole hoist, gambrel and all, with the bearings, for $99 at Sportsmansguide. Hardly seems worth even attempting to fabricate given how cheap they are new.

Todd

Comment

My dad and I built one that is two peices, bottom peice of pipe is necked down and the top half of the hoist slips onto the lower peice. I can pull a pin a the top half swivels. I am also riggin up metal landscaping lights for cleaning at night.

Comment

Your kinda right Bone Digger. I just like fabbing, plus I know what Im getting when I do it myself. I looked on ebay.com the other day and a guy had a pretty nice one that swiveled and broke down, had a bearing on it, for $138.00. His didnt have a light on it, mine will.

Comment

The way to make it swivel is to get a piece of solid round stock and mill it down to fit into the bottom section. That way the top sits onto it and it swivels. That is how mine is done. I couldnt find the right size so it had to be milled down.

Comment

I have one that I had built around 7-8 years ago. It swivels without a bearing. Basically it's just 2 pieces a top and bottom and built out of 2" square pipe. Inside the bottom piece is a round pipe sticking up that the top piece fits snug on top. On that round pipe, the top will swivel. I leave it at the lease so it will probably be next weekend before I can get a pic of it.

Comment

My dad and I built him one for his Polaris Ranger. We used the square tube / round pipe to make it swivel. I know they sell them fairly cheap, but they can't come close to being as hardy as this one and we have the satisfaction of knowing that we made it. Oh, and it is 4 pieces and fits a 2" square receptacle.

Comment

I must be looking at this wrong. I had been a millwright most of my adult life and I keep thinking that as soon as you load it up its gonna drag without a bearing.

Comment

My dad built one last fall that we use. I'm not sure on the pipe sizes, but basically, the top piece slips over a smaller pipe and is able to swivel on it. The unique thing that he added was stabilizer bars. These are pieces of flat bar that pin on one end to the vertical pipe. The other end has a hole cut that slips over the ends of the gambrel to keep the animal/cable from spinning as you are skinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      I must be looking at this wrong. I had been a millwright most of my adult life and I keep thinking that as soon as you load it up its gonna drag without a bearing.
                      Keep in mind that the hanging animal gives you about 2-3 feet of leverage to turn it. It's easy.

Comment

I built one over the summer time. Not to hard. I looked at Monarch's and didn't really like there design so I came up with my own. I think it's a lot stronger design.

Comment

Hey Mauler, if it's cheap enough I'll help! I want one too, and I ain't too far from you down here in Richmond. I can design like a big dog, but can't weld for squat.

Comment

I built one at the beginning of last season, went hunting the day after I finished it and killed 3 hogs in the morning, one was 297lb. and it swung him into the truck perfectly...that afternoon I killed a buck and the only problem I had with swinging him into the bed was his horns hitting the tailgate

That pipe sticking out of the tubing is a total of 4' long, 2' inside the tubing, 2' outside...after I welded the pipe to the tubing, I drilled a hole straight through both sides

This is the 297lb. hog...and if you look you can see a pin sticking out of the hoist...if I want it to swivel I just take the pin out.

another pic

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Working...
                              X