No announcement yet.

Deer processing yield??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took in 4 quarters, the back strap and neck meat of a 180# (on the hoof) buck I killed a couple weeks ago and got 60# back. 20# pan sausage and the rest hamburger.

Comment

Every mature doe I shoot yields almost the same every time.

Back strap cut in half
      Tenderloins whole
      Grind everything else.... always 21-23#

Mature buck processed same way
      35-38# ground

Comment

30lbs of meat for a doe or smal buck is about right.

Comment

I was told you take the live weight and subtract 1/3 for guts. Then you subtract 1/3 for skin and bones.

My sons 200 pound deer this year gave us 90# of meat. So that is close. We had a ton of meat made into jerky.

Comment

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
            About 90 pounds dressed ? Seem correct to me. About 1/3 is Hyde, 1/3 bones and 1/3 of the total weight is meat
            These are the same numbers we use to estimate yield in usable meat, and they have held true over time. Yield can be increased if you consider adding what others discard - such as rib meat, brisket, neck, organs (heart, kidneys, liver - which we feed to the dogs), etc.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

This isn't a deer, it was a pig but it kinda gives you an idea of yield.
              This the weight of the pig before I started processing.

This is after I gutted him.

And this is after I skinned him and removed the head and feet. He still had the bones because I was going to put him on the smoker whole.
              Quite a difference.

Now just imagine if I had deboned him.

Comment

Backstraps just look punny to me. Seems like I am missing some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only way you will ever know is if you weigh it deboned when you drop it off. Then you still dont know how it was handled. I enjoy processing it myself. Its so dang cheap now to drop it off though. Buddy got his done for $35.

But its easy to do youself, and a good reason to drink cold beer.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
                    Oh yeah, it’s just hamburger, chili meat and tenderized blackstrap.
                    You're good then.

Comment

Buy a grinder and vacuum sealer. Take a couple hours and knock it out. Pretty easy with the right equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot a 110# (field dressed weight) buck this year got back right about 50# from CCR. They did a nice job at a fair price.

Comment

But that does seem about right to me. He may have a little more than a pound in each pack. I usually do roughly 1.25# in my hamburger packs, no fat added.
                          Edit: I'm an idiot, you weighed it. Carry on..
                          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by BW96; 12-07-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I got 94lbs. of deboned from 200lb buck

Comment

Nothing seems wrong with the amount for got back. Kill bigger deer!

Comment

I think what you got back was pretty spot on.

I will also say that if the norm for you is what you did with this deer (just basically the meat, no sausage, jerky, etc) then spend a couple hundred bucks on some basic equipment and do it yourself in a matter of a couple hours. Then you know for sure who the meat belongs to.

Comment

Working...
                                X