Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
    Do you paper tune? Or is it beyond that?
    At risk of being run off the site, I generally go to archery talk [emoji33] to find specific tuning instructions for the bow I am dealing with at the time. I can normally find a few very detailed threads from knocking point, centershot, rest position, even cable slide position. This gives me a very close to tune bow, then it normally comes down to very minute adjustments to the rest from there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
      At risk of being run off the site, I generally go to archery talk [emoji33] to find specific tuning instructions for the bow I am dealing with at the time. I can normally find a few very detailed threads from knocking point, centershot, rest position, even cable slide position. This gives me a very close to tune bow, then it normally comes down to very minute adjustments to the rest from there.

Archery talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Archery talk?

[emoji36]

Comment

I believe that when it comes to a broadheads conversation it truly is just a personal preference. I've done so much research, reading, watching videos and i still haven't been able to decide on broadhead to try first that I like and feel like will do what I'm wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Not only nope, but ### no! Been there ad done that and will not go back!
            Good to know, just now getting in to bow hunting finally. I just made a reccomendation because it's one I seen and did little research, I'm still undecided on what broadhead I want to start with for next year first bow hunt

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              Lol...nothing like adding a parachute behind your broadhead...physics is a ***** [emoji51]

Do y’all not realize that the OP is trying to increase penetration?
              Good to know, just now getting in to bow hunting finally. I just made a reccomendation because it's one I seen and did little research, I'm still undecided on what broadhead I want to start with for next year first bow hunt

Comment

It does not matter which head you hit a Midwest brute in the shoulder with. I can tell you this from more than 4 self experiences.

Fixed blade is your best bet. The smaller width of the head to me is better for penetration. Cut on contact is a must. 440+ total grains of arrow will also help.

I like the viper tricks on the front of a 450 total grain arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  I assume he is speaking of 29.5 draw length but only 28" shaft.

I use the Slick Trick standard and want to try the Slick Trick Magnums
                  The Standard has not failed me. Punched through two hogs at the same time killing both in less than 30 yards each and great blood. Slick Tricks punch a good hole, not just a slice like 2 blade heads do.
                  Try and tinker with your setup a bit. There may be something you can do to get the ST to fly better at longer ranges. Mine fly great out to 40, as that is the absolute furthest i will shoot at any game. Most shots are within 20, so they work great for me.

I just made the switch this year. You will love the Magnums!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt125 View Post

Welcome to the sport! A ton of us are willing to help with any info you need. Use our failures and real world testing so you don’t have to learn the hard way like some of us did [emoji51]

Comment

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

I’ve had ramcats in my quiver for 2 years now. Hadn’t shot anything with them, but the other day while hunting I knocked an arrow and 1 blade was bent! Those heads have been no where but my quiver, and were not bent just weeks before. I took them off, and put slick trick mags back on. Next season I’ll be deciding if I want to stick with the slick tricks or try another head. I’ve been looking at the exodus, thunderheads and good ole muzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                        Do you paper tune? Or is it beyond that?

I like a good broadhead topic, like antler restrictions and black panthers[emoji4]
                        My thoughts on tuning - paper tuning in archery is what bore sighting is to a rifle. It’s only part of the process. There’s bare shaft, walk back, broadhead tuning. When tuned the bow should shoot a fixed head well.

Mr Sid

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                          Welcome to the sport! A ton of us are willing to help with any info you need. Use our failures and real world testing so you don’t have to learn the hard way like some of us did [emoji51]
                          Thank you very much! I'm excited to have joined the bow hunting community! And thank you very much for the advice offer, will definitely need it at some point lol, still lots of learning in my future

Comment

X2

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                            nothing beats the magnus stinger for long range accuracy, and offers the best penetration at all ranges

but for the wider cut i suggest the black hornet, i have shot them out to 100 yards also

Comment

When you hit bone there’s not much if anything that will do any better.

Comment

Not being an ace when I say this but I don't u,understand chasing broadheads or switching every time a bad shot was made.
                                I have shot thunderheads for the last 15 plus years and they have served me well. If I made a bad shot I wouldn't blame or change because of that and if the ones you use have also I would stick with them.
                                Just my .02 cents.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X