Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Oh, one other situation I wear one is where required by the outfitter.
    I wonder why he requires it?

Comment

Oh, one other situation I wear one is where required by the outfitter.
      Well, they do that for a reason.

Comment

Y'all are right. Never get in a stand without one. Have a good day folks. I'm going to go sit in a ground blind.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
          I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john

There is no need for you to be the poster child. Many of us already have had experiences where friends or family have had close calls, injured, or killed by falling out of a tree stand. And some of us are affected by those experiences daily, which makes us solid proponents of tree stand safety.

Guys that wear harnesses and do things in a safe manner on a daily basis get more respect from me than guys that are careless, selfish, and wreck-less.

In my opinion, a harness is a great tool to use in a tree stand...if worn and attached correctly...not to mention the piece of mind it gives me and my family when I’m out hunting. The latter is very important to me.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            I wonder why he requires it?
            Lawyers and liberal courts.

Comment

Y'all are right. Never get in a stand without one. Have a good day folks. I'm going to go sit in a ground blind.
              Excellent!!! I feel I've done my good deed for the day.

Comment

Lawyers and liberal courts.
                Yep! They make a living off of others stupidity. And I ain't talking about the outfitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  I am sure the vast majority here would agree life is full of risks. Best to eliminate or lower the ones you can. Also if you look at the risk vs. reward of not using safety harnesses and lifelines what is the payoff for not using them? Save a few bucks on rope/equipment cost? Just my opinion, but that is foolish. Plan ahead and get the things you need to keep you safe. Nobody is going to make you, but I promise if you are not taking the proper precautions you will not be allowed to hunt on my property.
                  Lot of wisdom here for someone to follow. Very well put, thank you

Comment

Much rather die that way and there than in hospice with some disease or dimensia. The things I wouldn't want to die of are the real things that get too many folk. Wearing a harness is good insurance. I'm just not there. And for the record I have provided for my family financially. My kids are grown. I'm a big guy now.
                    I'm not sure how big your bank account is but break yourself in half from a fall and end up in a wheelchair and I bet your family's bank account will look a lot different than it does now.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      Unexpectedly lost my grandfather 5 years ago at a very healthy 71 years of age by him falling out of a 12’ ladder stand. Basically lost a grandmother too since she can not recover from his death.

We all rely on harnesses now when getting elevated in a tree. Unfortunately, we all learned our lesson the hard way.
                      Dam, sorry for your loss brother, that's a tough one

Comment

I never used one until this year. Climbed into one of my old stands and one of the cables broke as soon as I stepped on, luckily I was able to bear hug the tree before the trap door went on the other side. Went straight to the store and bought one, scared the crap out of me!

Comment

There is no excuse to not wear a harness. It's insanely stupid not to. There are a lot of guys on here who thought "i'm careful and experienced it will not happen to me" until they met the ground at high speed. There are stories every year of families having to move on without a father/son/brother/husband/wife/daughter/mother that were seasoned hunters and thought it wouldn't happen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            If you convince some young person to waver from safety and into harms way, you have done harm.

You talk like following the crowd in doing something right is actually wrong. Usually following the crowd is wrong, but not this time.
                            I never once said it was wrong to wear a harness. I said I don't wear one myself and I pointed out a host of behaviors that people do every single day that are far more dangerous from a statistical point of view. I am not against anyone wearing one if that is what they chose to do.

-john

Comment

OSHA says you have to tie off above 6'.

some of yall gonna get wrote up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                                Then you should reread the title of this thread, and start a thread of your own about independent thinking. This thread is about treestand safety, SPECIFICALLY!
                                Once again I can see your point but simply chose to take a wider view of the subject at hand.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X