Aoudad Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rams and ewes.
    They are most closely related to wild goats.
    The males are bigger and the mane and chaps are more pronounced.
    30(+) inches is a trophy.
    I don't know much about aging them, but a 30" ram is a shooter.

Comment

Oh... and they eat just fine.
      I'd make sausage out of them if you're finicky but I've chunked hind quarter into stew meat and made delicious Irish stew out of an old trophy ram and it was fine.

Comment

OP, grab your AR and shoot all of the aoudad you see. the faster you clear them off your property the better.

Comment

are these any good to eat? or just nice wall trophies?

Comment

Ram's horns grow approx. 3" per year so a 30" aoudad is about 10 years old and 30" is considered a very nice ram. I disagree with the 28" comments...I think this one is closer to 30".

A young aoudad is very good eating. True story...I recently attended a wild game dinner and the very best thing I ate was chiken-fried aoudad. I have heard an old ram is not very good eating, except for jerky. We did not eat the one I shot. The ranch manager took it to make jerky or sausage or whatever.

Comment

I can't stand aoudad meat, though did have burger once that I could choke down that was mixed with beef and ground bacon to take your mind off the aoudad.

Ecologically speaking, aoudad prefer the same plants as do deer, but when those are unavailable, aoudad can switch to less palatable foods that deer cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
                not a sheep. and not a goat. somewhere in between. the young and the female are really good eating. the rams are not.
                Aoudad aka Barbary sheep.

Comment

Working...
                X