No announcement yet.

Smoker Diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 20" and went to a 24"....that additional rack makes a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
      24" STD wall pipe (.375" thick) is the direction I would go. When you lay out your door, make the cut 1" below the centerline (see first picture). This will help maximize space if you are doing pull out grates. I also like 24" because you can more easily fit an upper pullout. There is just not enough room on 20" for useable double pullouts.

I would stay away from the propane tanks. They can be a pain to work with.

pics:
      1. 20" pipe with doors layed out.
      2. 24" pit with double slides
      3. 24" pit installed
      4. 20" pit showing small upper rack.
      I searched your threads and found your build along on the 20" when I first started this thread, you do great work, thanks for the tips.

Comment

I would skip both and go 30"

Comment

24" STD wall pipe (.375" thick) is the direction I would go. When you lay out your door, make the cut 1" below the centerline (see first picture). This will help maximize space if you are doing pull out grates. I also like 24" because you can more easily fit an upper pullout. There is just not enough room on 20" for useable double pullouts.

I would stay away from the propane tanks. They can be a pain to work with.

pics:
          1. 20" pipe with doors layed out.
          2. 24" pit with double slides
          3. 24" pit installed
          4. 20" pit showing small upper rack.
          Pits look great! Quick question, do you weld bullethinges on top of the flat strap itself to get a piece on top? I’m assuming you cut the top and leave the door connected and weld on the strap and hinges before you cut the rest?

Comment

I built a 20", next will be at least 24"

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
              Pits look great! Quick question, do you weld bullethinges on top of the flat strap itself to get a piece on top? I’m assuming you cut the top and leave the door connected and weld on the strap and hinges before you cut the rest?
              I make my own hinges using cold roll, & pipe.

first I cut the top all the way across.
              then I lay my 1-1/2" flat strap on top, but stop 3/4" from the cut on both sides. I also pit my hinges on at this time.

then I do the same on the bottom.

then I make my side cuts. I usually leave it connected on all 4 corners overnight so it can cool off. come back the next day and cut it loose, and make sure the door opens correctly.

then I strap out the sides very slowly using clamps and a little heat on the flat bar. once done strapping, I like to tack the door to the pit do it can't open. maybe 10 spots all the way around.

then I start welding the strap to the door. moving around, and keeping the heat low as possible, making short welds. I don't even seal weld the strapping anymore.....too easy to warp! I just weld the corners, and a few spots in between.

after that's done, and cooled off, I cut the tacks loose, and clean everything up, and put my handles on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I make my own hinges using cold roll, & pipe.

first I cut the top all the way across.
                then I lay my 1-1/2" flat strap on top, but stop 3/4" from the cut on both sides. I also pit my hinges on at this time.

then I do the same on the bottom.

then I make my side cuts. I usually leave it connected on all 4 corners overnight so it can cool off. come back the next day and cut it loose, and make sure the door opens correctly.

then I strap out the sides very slowly using clamps and a little heat on the flat bar. once done strapping, I like to tack the door to the pit do it can't open. maybe 10 spots all the way around.

then I start welding the strap to the door. moving around, and keeping the heat low as possible, making short welds. I don't even seal weld the strapping anymore.....too easy to warp! I just weld the corners, and a few spots in between.

after that's done, and cooled off, I cut the tacks loose, and clean everything up, and put my handles on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                Thanks for the advice! I haven’t had one spring out too bad yet but we are about to tackle a 13’x32” propane tank and are doing our homework as this one will have a lot of time and money into it.

Comment

Working...
                X