Tuning help - I'm lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning help - I'm lost

This problem is odd to me, but I don't have a lot of tuning experience or capabilities. Maybe there is a simple solution I am not aware of or haven't tried.

So a couple years ago I bought a used Bowtech Assassin. The first year, I could never get fixed broadheads to pattern so I just shot expandables. I am doing the same this year, but I would like to get my bow tuned so I can switch back to fixed heads.

My problem is that if I just shoot one arrow and broadhead repeatedly, I will hit the same spot. Lets say high right. When I shoot arrow 2, it will hit low left each time I shoot that arrow. Each arrow and broadhead combination will produce different results, but will be consistent for that arrow.

If I switch the broadheads on arrows, I will get differnet impact locations for each arrow, but each arrow will hit about the same spot if I just shoot that one arrow.

What could be wrong? I don't know what else to do besides stick to expandables.

The bow is 60-70 lbs, but I have it turned down to the lower end. Could I potentially have the limbs set differently?

two or three blade heads?

Comment

What BH are you using (3 blade, 2 blade, 4 blade?)
      Are the BH oriented the same way on each arrow?

I saw this with 2 blade where my spine was a bit weak. As the arrow flexed, the windage of the blade caused the arrow to "walk" a bit. Some have said that it shouldn't, but if I oriented it vertically, I had no walk. If I oriented it horizontally, it would walk high. If I had it sideways, it would walk high and to the right, etc.

Comment

You can start by making sure your cams are timed/synced and your tiller is set (tiller is the distance from the bowstring to the top limb and bowstring to the bottom the limb. Simplified explanation but you can google it. The simplest way on tiller is to max out your limbs all the way and then back them off exactly the same amount of turns to your desired weight. But if your string is stretched or something is messed up, your bow will be out of specs from the factory. I'm thinking you may have something else going on though with the broadheads hitting a different spot each time. If the broadheads were hitting one spot and the field tips hitting one spot, that would just be a basic tuning issue (nock point, rest adjustment, arrow spine, etc.).

What kind of rest are you using? Maybe put some lipstick or something on your rest and see if you are getting vane contact when you shoot. There are some good bow tech guys on here that can probably help you more...I'm just guessing based on some of my own experiences.

Comment

Sounds to me like it's not your bow but broadhead tuning that is needed. Do you spin test each bh when you put it on your arrow? I bought a tool to square up the insert and generally when I get the bh to spin with no wobble they fly consistently.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. How would I check to see if my cams are synced? I can google, but is it something I can do by myself without a bowpress?

As far as broadheads, I've tried a few different Muzzy's (3 blade, 4, blade, MX series, and another) and another brand someone gave me to try. I've tried Eason and Gold Tip arrows. All have had similar results.

The rest is a QAD, but I forget which one.

Comment

I see your in Brenham. If you're ever in Bryan/College Station swing by Live Oak Archery and see if we can help you some.

Comment

I'm with chew. You have to make sure bow is in spec before tuning can begin.

Once bow is in spec. Then look up on here tunning method. I posted a method called kitchen sink. Then after this is done. You broadhead tune.

A weak arrow will not shoot groups with broadheads and not enough steering will do the same. But both will give good results with field points.

Comment

My bowtech tribute has very small cam timing "dots". If the string or edge of the limb (depending on where they are on the cam) is in the same exact spot on both limbs, you are probably good. I think the owner's manual will tell you which dot should be used as reference for each drawlength (but I may be wrong). See where the string goes between the two dots?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24407491

If the string is not centered, then you need some twists put in or taken out of your string or cable to get them back in sync. But this helps out when your field tips and broadheads are hitting different places....not sure if it would cause broadheads to hit erratically.

Comment

Chew. When I set my bowtechs up and finished my dots where never the same.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                      Chew. When I set my bowtechs up and finished my dots where never the same.
                      I have pencil marks on my Tribute on the dots that show it's in specs. As long as I keep it there and keep my rest/nock point good my BH and FP hit together. May just be coincidence!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        I have pencil marks on my Tribute on the dots that show it's in specs. As long as I keep it there and keep my rest/nock point good my BH and FP hit together. May just be coincidence!
                        Sounds good.

Comment

I am kind of shocked no one asked about any of the arrow information. Save yourself a lot of headaches and take your bow to a decent shop and let them look at it.

Are you shooting a matched set of decent quality arrows or a mixed bag of academy and wal mart shafts? Are the ends cut square? Are they all they same length, spine and weight?

These are factors that will make a tuned bow shoot like a **** with cams.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                            I am kind of shocked no one asked about any of the arrow information. Save yourself a lot of headaches and take your bow to a decent shop and let them look at it.

Are you shooting a matched set of decent quality arrows or a mixed bag of academy and wal mart shafts? Are the ends cut square? Are they all they same length, spine and weight?

These are factors that will make a tuned bow shoot like a **** with cams.
                            Arrows are all quality arrows, and have shot the same with different brands. I won't have much time to mess with my bow before opening morning, so I will probably stick to the expandables this weekend. I'll see if I can tinker with it next week and have any luck with some of the above suggestions, but if not I'll probably end up taking it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
                              Arrows are all quality arrows, and have shot the same with different brands. I won't have much time to mess with my bow before opening morning, so I will probably stick to the expandables this weekend. I'll see if I can tinker with it next week and have any luck with some of the above suggestions, but if not I'll probably end up taking it to someone who knows what they're doing.
                              No offense, but my experience has been that no two brands tune the exact same. For that matter, no dozen shafts all tune the exact same. Most of the time there are slight differences that can cause erratic flight. If you are not currently shooting a homogenous setup, this could be the root of your problem. Fps and mechanicals may mask bad arrow flight, but you will suffer with penetration.

I say all of this because I have experienced it first hand. A well tuned setup is worth it's salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X