Deer Management question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Management question

Is it possible to grow Big racks on 200 acre ranch, with neighbors who hunt as well? Anyone with experience I’d appreciate there advice on do’s and dont’s/what has worked for you. Any secrets to keep them from jumping the fence is that even a possible goal? Thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
    Is it possible to grow Big racks on 200 acre ranch, with neighbors who hunt as well? Anyone with experience I’d appreciate there advice on do’s and dont’s/what has worked for you. Any secrets to keep them from jumping the fence is that even a possible goal? Thanks for any advice.
    Only if neighbors get on board with the plan.

Comment

Not without a high fence.

Comment

Nope

Skinny

Comment

Nope. You may get lucky once... even twice. But you can't hold them there

Comment

I don't know anything that will keep deer from jumping a Low fence. deer will travel a long ways at times we have 2300 acres and a friend of mine has a place a 2 miles down the road and often times we have the same deer on camera a week or two apart.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
              I don't know anything that will keep deer from jumping a Low fence. deer will travel a long ways at times we have 2300 acres and a friend of mine has a place a 2 miles down the road and often times we have the same deer on camera a week or two apart.

Yep. My buddy has a place a couple miles from us and we share pics...many of the same deer are on camera.

Skinny

Comment

Bucks travel many miles during the rut. We have the same buck on different game cams at least a mile apart maybe farther within 2 days.

Comment

On my 260 acres in Leon co. I can’t get them to 4.5 often. Shame. Great genetics and good habitat.

On my lease, We see them a 1 mile apart on the same day.

Comment

I think you can. We have a 60 acre place a few miles down the road from my house. The neighbors hunt but I don’t think their the “if it’s brown it’s down type” but they aren’t super management minded either. My whole management strategy is don’t shoot any bucks that aren’t mature. There is no such thing as a cull buck on my place. Those culls are decoys for the neighbors to shoot while I’m waiting on the mature bucks. Also make my place as deer friendly as possible. 1 small food plot, plenty of water and lots and lots of cover.
                    Now granted we usually only kill a mature buck off the place every couple years, not every year. Have plenty of game cam pics of them but once they reach 4.5 their very smart and super skittish. Also we don’t shoot any does on that place. Now the area I’m talking about isn’t known for growing B&C books either so any buck in the low 120s is a great deer for the area. Oh and last but definitely not least is we keep the hunting pressure on our spot to the bare minimum. 1 box stand and feeder and 1 tripod on the 60 acres.
                    I think it can be done but also be prepared to hear about the neighbors killing some of your bigger bucks every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
                      I think you can. We have a 60 acre place a few miles down the road from my house. The neighbors hunt but I don’t think their the “if it’s brown it’s down type” but they aren’t super management minded either. My whole management strategy is don’t shoot any bucks that aren’t mature. There is no such thing as a cull buck on my place. Those culls are decoys for the neighbors to shoot while I’m waiting on the mature bucks. Also make my place as deer friendly as possible. 1 small food plot, plenty of water and lots and lots of cover.
                      Now granted we usually only kill a mature buck off the place every couple years, not every year. Have plenty of game cam pics of them but once they reach 4.5 their very smart and super skittish. Also we don’t shoot any does on that place. Now the area I’m talking about isn’t known for growing B&C books either so any buck in the low 120s is a great deer for the area. Oh and last but definitely not least is we keep the hunting pressure on our spot to the bare minimum. 1 box stand and feeder and 1 tripod on the 60 acres.
                      I think it can be done but also be prepared to hear about the neighbors killing some of your bigger bucks every so often.

Low 120's is a great deer....??? Not shooting does is not good, have to keep the ratios good or a management plan will never work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You gotta try. I hunt 200 acres surrounded by 180, 700 and 1000 acre ranches. I am the only one that feeds year round. My son and I have harvested 5 and 6 and even an 8 year old buck last year. I know during the rut bucks travel miles looking for a hot doe. I stress to my neighbors to only harvest mature deer. my 1000 acre neighbor can't understand why we kill mature deer and they don't. Finally got them to understand if you kill them at 2.5 they'll never be big. My 180 acre hunter kills about anything that reaches 13 inches. I had a 2.5 yr 18-19 inch high horn 9 that had been eating protein that would have easily grown to a 150 inch plus deer that didn't make it past the second weekend of rifle season. What a shame. So can you grow mature bucks on 200 acres you got to be lucky and hope your neighbors are on the same page or terrible hunters. At least it's worth a try.

Comment

Define big? Big for your county or 160+ big? I own 234 acres and have killed bucks into the 145 range on it in the last 5 yrs. I have good neighbors but they all hunt and seem to take mature or 4+ yr olds at least. I have seen a couple of bucks on TC or in person chasing does that I thought were 150ish. 150 deer would be a great buck for my area of the county. I have had deer for 3 yrs on TC so I know they are staying close if not on my little place. I feed protein year round and do spring/fall food plots. Stay out of the good bedding areas and do not overgraze. Being in an AR county has helped a lot also.

Comment

Feed'em and let'em get old.
                            They will get "big".

Comment

Set up a food plot or two and make sure the deer have plenty of cover. You won't necessarily grown a giant but if you stay patient and keep little pressure on your deer a mature buck may make his home on your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X