No announcement yet.

who all has beehives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two locations in Northern Live Oak county with bees in an old house wall(two different spots) and then one under a floor in an old storage building if anyone wants them.

Comment

Went and checked mine today and swapped them into better boxes, maybe expanding next month or two.

Comment

We bought a nuc from Bee Weavers Thursday, looking good so far. We had 4 hives (2 brood boxes and 2 supers each) that we lost 3 years ago to hive bettles, going pro active to keep them down to a minimum. Getting a package early April that we should be able to jumpstart with a brood frame from this hive.

Comment

who all has beehives?

We have two hives for April pickup at Weaver, very good luck with their bees so far. Hoping to catch a third for the topbar we have. Definitely get more honey from the Lang than the topbar, but I really enjoy the natural aspect of the topbar with no foundation or frames. They usually build cross or bridged comb, but I guess that's what they normally do unless you give them no choice with foundation and frames.

Last edited by ShoootLow; 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Building a few of my own langstroths this month want to get some packaged but finances are not going to allow it these will be my first hives found plans off beesource

Comment

So how much does it really cost to get started?

Comment

How do you guys running top bar rob honey? I've only been around spinning frames with an extractor?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                  How do you guys running top bar rob honey? I've only been around spinning frames with an extractor?
                  Mash and filter! Check out Don the Fatbeeman on u-tube, he shows how to poor boy all kinds of bee duties.

Comment

If you buy your hives about 200 each for the hives and 150-200 for nucs is prices I'm seeing and then a bee suit and tools add about 200

Comment

Cut cap, then crush and filer through cheesecloth twice.

Comment

Just installed two nucs into hives last night. Never really be around honey bees, other than the occasional swarm out hunting. Crazy how docile they are. And I think one bee is smarter than all ten of my wife's chickens combined.

Comment

This reminded me that I need to go out and install some more bars in ours. The dang bees were overflowing the hive yesterday.

Richard.

Comment

delete

Comment

Our nuc we bought the 1st of March is going strong. They are almost done pulling on the 2nd brood box, probably add a super in a few weeks. Our package is doing well after 2 weeks, seeing eggs and larvae so the queen is going her job. We are feeding both hives every 4 days while they are pulling. The big hive is getting testy now that the pollen flow is kicking into gear, they're coming in loaded with pollen.

Comment

Beekeeping for dummies is a good book for starting off. It is what I used. One thing to remember about beekeeping is that there are lots of different ways, and most bee keepers are die hard convinced their way is the only way

Comment

Working...
                                X