No announcement yet.

Can pigs see a green light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wondering about the red/green light and hogs. I built one of the hog lights by DarrelS on the DIY forum with green LED's. It's set to come on Monday through Thursday at 6:15 pm for about 15 minutes and Friday and Saturday night from 6:15 to 8:15. Until I put out the light we had hogs on the game cam at 8:00 every night. Now we have no hogs coming in. Deer don't seem to mind the light at all. I've had to run them out of the pen to work on the feeder with the light on.

The feeder pen is probably 40-50' across. The light is bright enough to shoot anywhere in the pen. From what I've read here I need to reduce the brightness or change the LED color to red and perhaps the hogs will return.

Comment

been wonderin same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Centraltexan View Post
        Very interesting Rob! I will try this.
        I'm gonna have to go with whatever Rob says as well!!

Comment

had green lasers on my bows and they did spook 'em, but if you turn it on while pointing it up and bring it down onto the target, all the while not hitting any other hogs in the face with it, it worked pretty good. quartering away shots seem to be the best, as they are looking away from the beam. as far as not working in cold weather; i have a foam pipe wrap(camo of course) with a hand warmer pack inside of it wraped around the laser unit to keep it warm, but it has to be really cold (25 degrees or less) before i need to use it

Comment

They don't spook when I use my green Hawglite Marauder! Works in rain, cold, etc. I actually have a 2nd one that i use as my flashlight for camping and fishing.

Comment

Pigs see all and hear all. Don't think for a minute that wild game can't see red, green, etc. Look at your trail cams etc that use the red lights and how many animals you have spooked using the green and red led lights going to and from your stands.
              Last edited by Bayouboy; 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Go... to... the... light... little piggie!

Todd

Comment

The ones in navarro county can!, they don't seem to notice red as much, but certain ones seem to get a little uneasy by it, I believe some can see certain spectrums of light others can't, just depends if they were born with that color blindness or not.

Comment

Forget using a light. If you want to hog hunt at night, jerk your peep sight out replace with a kisser button), install a tritium pin for 20 yds. and hunt by moonlight. If you want to hunt small hogs a light will work ok - for a while, until they get educated. Almost every big hog I ever lit up with a light spooked; and I tried multiple brands and colors. So, I went back to the way I used to do it, as I described. I do A LOT of night hunting for hogs with a lot of success. Yes, you are limited to about a week per month when the moon is really good but that sure beats the frustration that lights cause. I have a lot of clients that come to the ranch and try to use lights and I hear more more frustration than success from them.

Comment

Not when they are texting

Comment

I think so

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                          Not when they are texting
                          Ha! I get it... but you might stir the pot with that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                            Ha! I get it... but you might stir the pot with that one!
                            hehe I was wondering if anyone would catch that

Comment

I think it has more to do with light being too bright all at once. I have hunted with red light on the bow, have a solar landscape light on the feeder (white) and just bought green and blue lights and will be trying them out soon

Comment

Originally posted by donfish84 View Post
                                Any color of light shined directly onto a pig will spook them. They get educated real quick. Most of the time you can shine a red or green up in the air and slowly bring it down till you have enough to shoot. Works better than white doing it that way.
                                Good advice!

Comment

Working...
                                X