What size to build our pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
    Our pool is 36x19.5(I think), 2.5' on one end, 9' on the other, w/6x8 tanning deck and attached 7' round hot tub, extra exposed aggregate deckwork, approx 30K gals, $65K

You're doing it wrong. In the dead of winter it only takes our LPG heater 1:00-1:15 to get to 105*. Summer, 30 minutes...
    Thanks but I have had both ways and I don't like to plan when to use my hot tub - the stand alone are much more comfortable too IMO -

Comment

Not too steal the thread but can someone PM me I am looking to get info on a pool. Maybe the fiberglass insert not real sure just needing pros and cons

Comment

My pool is gunite, 12,500 gallons, beach entrance, rock waterfall. Play pool style...5'4 in the middle, bench seat around 1/3 of it and bench under waterfall. Around $35k. Kids and wife use it daily in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          The next time you're driving down the highway, just pour a bottle of water over your head and start throwing $100 bills out the window. The end result will be the same.
          Good comment bro

Comment

If your looking for one just to hang out in, I would get an above ground put in the ground, save ya 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

tagged

Comment

I was in a house with a 32,000 gallon pool for about 10 years.

Couple things to think about on size -

1. The bigger the pool, the more maintenance that is required and/or the longer everything takes. Think of it like a lawn.

2. Deep-end is cool (I'm talking about 8 + feet), but comes with it's own negatives. It adds a ton of water volume to the pool, which makes heating it in cooler months very expensive and most the time not even worth the effort. Combine that with it being harder to clean and section of the pool will receive the least amount of use as well.

3. Attached hot-tub is very much worth it. I'd say our attached hot-tub received the most use. Very easy to heat up and use year-around.

If we had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with a sport type pool; i.e. shallow on each end and deeper in the middle.

Not sure how big OP's back yard is, but I'd shy away from anything over 30,000 gallons.

Comment

What size to build our pool?

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                  My wife and I are thinking about having a pool out in and was wandering what size we should put in. Neither of us have ever had a pool before. We thinking 32x16x6.5 we only have one child and he is 17 so mainly it will be my wife and I just relaxing and cooling off. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                  Good size and if you're not doing a dive pool, I'd taper it down to 5.5' in the middle from each end. Have a lounge ledge that runs around one end and a beach entry at the other.

Ours is 32'x12' at 5' deep in the middle. Salt and extremely low maintenance. It's around 15,000 gallons.

Last edited by Chad C; 06-12-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

How do you finance a pool? Or are y'all paying cash? My wife & kid are begging me for a pool but I'm having a hard time thinking it will be a halfazz decent investment. I'm a bang for my buck type guy & the buck seems to heavily outweigh the bang!

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                      I suggest having your hot tub (assuming you are doing one) totally separate from the pool - you want your hot tub ready and heated at all times. When attached to a pool you have to plan to use it and start the heat up 3-4 hours ahead of time.
                      ??? Perhaps undersized???

Ours takes 10 min to heat up in the summer with a 400k Pentair heater and it's 80' away from the spa/hot tub.

Comment

I had an above ground pool at our house put in by the previous owner. It was 18x30x4.5 It was great for water volleyball. Unless you are wanting to do a lot of diving, I wouldn't see the need for much water over 5.5' deep. Might look at sport pools. They taper to the middle.

We now have a 2 acre pond that we swim in.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                          ??? Perhaps undersized???

Ours takes 10 min to heat up in the summer with a 400k Pentair heater and it's 80' away from the spa/hot tub.
                          Can you not have an attached hot tub but on it's own heater/pump?

Comment

If you want a pool, I say go for it. You two are the only ones whose decision counts. I will throw in my two cents though. I had one put in when we lived in Waco. Our kids were younger then and kids always at the house in it. We loved it. We moved to the metromess 19 years ago. We sold the house in Waco and basically had to give the pool away as it added nothing to the price of the home and it was a very nice pool. I swore I would never have another one because of virtually giving the pool away. Now, I am retiring in three years and I want another pool. We built a shallow pool in Waco and was 3 feet in the shallow end and only 6 feet in the deep end. Strongly consider going a bit deeper. At the end of the summer a shallow pool tends to be more like a huge hot tub with our blazing summer temperatures. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                              Can you not have an attached hot tub but on it's own heater/pump?
                              Sure. It's just a matter of another pump and/or more valves.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                                My wife and I are thinking about having a pool out in and was wandering what size we should put in. Neither of us have ever had a pool before. We thinking 32x16x6.5 we only have one child and he is 17 so mainly it will be my wife and I just relaxing and cooling off. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                                Have you decided on the pool contractor? I'm in Hatchie & looking for recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                                X