No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some really tough hunting here at Garner. Everything is green and the deer aren't moving. One spike was killed last night.

Truck comes by at 10. Not sure if I am going to sit here all day or go back and redraw for a different spot. The spot I'm hunting is at sown campsites near the river. The wind is in my face, so it seems prime, but I just don't know. It's truly just a guessing game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      Some really tough hunting here at Garner. Everything is green and the deer aren't moving. One spike was killed last night.

Truck comes by at 10. Not sure if I am going to sit here all day or go back and redraw for a different spot. The spot I'm hunting is at sown campsites near the river. The wind is in my face, so it seems prime, but I just don't know. It's truly just a guessing game right now.

Goodluck. I redrew after my first day and picked up a good blind that happened to have axis moving through. You just never know.

Comment

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

It's a crap shoot for sure. Just had some turkey move through.

Comment

A guy killed a velvet buck out of 9 this morning.

Comment

Only 2 deer killed during our hunt. Camp ranger said 27 have been killed and they usually kill over 80.

One guy I talked to got drawn on standby for Both hunts this week and didn't see a single deer.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              Only 2 deer killed during our hunt. Camp ranger said 27 have been killed and they usually kill over 80.

One guy I talked to got drawn on standby for Both hunts this week and didn't see a single deer.
              Wow. Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why they hire someone to come in and clear out herds in the off season, not tell anyone in the drawn hunt book and then sell hunts. If you want more killed sell more hunts to the people that keep you in business, which include drawn night hunts, etc... I know that the park camping is most of their revenue but I would think that 90% of drawn hunters also camp and visit throughout the year. Jmho.

Comment

In

Comment

If they have government degradation hunters come in do they just kill and leave them or do they utilize the resource efficiently? Meat, hide and antlers utilized to clarify

Comment

My understanding is that the government hunters come in with the USDA and kill the animals. The hunt is under the guidance and supervision of park staff and the meat is used. Not sure about hide/horns.

TPWD views the axis as a nuisance especially since the whitetail numbers are down and want them eradicated.

There is nothing left "in the field" there. In fact, there is little or no signs that hunting took place.

Comment

Despite the poor hunting conditions, the hunt was fantastic. The park staff were amazing even though they had been there for several weeks. The hunt master answered any questions we had and really worked to help us be successful. He wanted us to kill deer.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                        If they have government degradation hunters come in do they just kill and leave them or do they utilize the resource efficiently? Meat, hide and antlers utilized to clarify
                        We were told at the end of the season last year that they had an outfit scheduled to come in and hunt/trap right after the last hunt. They did say that they bring in a usda inspector so they can donate most of the meat. Still think they should give hunters a chance since we are paying to be there, as opposed to paying someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Freight Mover View Post
                          These are part of the TP&W draw hunts that start in the summer. Everything is online.

You can go online and see all of the hunts that were available and the stats. It's under the Public Hunting area on their website
                          So you can only hunt if you get drawn? Luck of the draw on when and where?

Comment

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbasnl View Post
                              So you can only hunt if you get drawn? Luck of the draw on when and where?

You can go to the park prior to the hunt and try to get on a standby spot if they are available. Some parks have stand by and some do not. Otherwise, yes only if you get drawn.

Most hunts have multiple dates for hints. You can prioritize your preferences, but there is no guarantee for your preferred date. So in the end you're at the mercy of the draw.

Comment

I got drawn for Archery Exotic at Garner SP Dec 5-9 any advice?

Comment

Working...
                                X