Load tuning on my 308 Savage hog hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load tuning on my 308 Savage hog hunter

I went to the range today with 39 rounds loaded for development and my 308. I could hunt without further development as is. It's very consistent in both group size and more importantly poi from load to load. Settled on a seating depth of .045" off the lands and the max load I had for the day shot the best. I had a .390 a .5 and several in the .6-.75 range. I think it will be a consistent .75 or better rifle with the can on it perhaps better if I can load hotter. The groups were getting better as charge weight went up. This is with a 168 eld and H4895 giving a velocity of 2600-2730 from a 20 inch barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
    I went to the range today with 39 rounds loaded for development and my 308. I could hunt without further development as is. It's very consistent in both group size and more importantly poi from load to load. Settled on a seating depth of .045" off the lands and the max load I had for the day shot the best. I had a .390 a .5 and several in the .6-.75 range. I think it will be a consistent .75 or better rifle with the can on it perhaps better if I can load hotter. The groups were getting better as charge weight went up. This is with a 168 eld and H4895 giving a velocity of 2600-2730 from a 20 inch barrel.

that's great slick! Nice when you could shoot a few groups on a playing card if you wanted! Ha!

Comment

Varget powder, 42-45 grains. Every 308 has done well.

Comment

Im.assuming you have already done ladder test or similar for charge weight?

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
          Im.assuming you have already done ladder test or similar for charge weight?
          No, I learned a method from dustoffer that's worked really well for me. Pick a charge weight of about 3/4 book max and test for seating depth. Then go to charge weight testing.

I load up 39 rounds and take my press to the range to adjust seating depth. I load 5 groups of 3 at .010-.050 off the lands with the same 3/4 charge and test. I pick the best of that adjust seating depth to match the best group 3 rounds spot on 3 rounds -.005 and 3 rounds +.005. I shoot those to pin down the best. The last 15 rounds are all loaded with increasing charge weights to max. I seat the bullets to match the best seating deoth and test charge weight with the last 15 rounds.

All but the initial 15 rounds are loaded long so that all I have to do is adjust seating depth.

I can go back and refine if necessary but I've produced .5 moa loads to 600 yards with a single trip such as this to the range.

Now please excuse me while I run an arrow thru a deer...[emoji6]

Comment

That's a slick set up, and a heck of a method. copy and paste

Comment

Freakin love my Hog Hunter 308 topped with a Leupold 6 power. Hornady All American 150 gr gives me 5 in a dime at 100 yards. Love the stock you added to your Hog. I'm guessing
              It's a Boyd. Can you tell me what model it is and is it bedded. Thanks.

Comment

It's a boyds Prarie hunter and yes I bedded it.

Comment

How did you bed it? I just got an axis xp in 308 with the prarie hunter stock and it's shooting about 1 moa with federal 150 gr factory ammo. Also do any of yall know people that sell handloads?

Comment

Working...
                  X