Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crc View Post
    The main benefit of shooting lighter faster arrows doesn't really come into play until after 40 yards. If the majority of shots are under that, why not improve success on marginal shots by getting more penetration?
    I choose to be as successful as I can by not taking marginal shots to begin with. If I can’t get into my comfortable kill range... then that animal has beat me anyway. And I’m comfortable at 40 in situations

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      So several months back, I reached into my archery box and pull out 2 100 grain field points. I hold them separately and then together to feel the weight........and think to myself is this little extra and a calculator really what everybody is OCDing about?....

Sorry for starting an archery discussion on a bow hunting forum.

idk why this post was deleted?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        I choose to be as successful as I can by not taking marginal shots to begin with. If I can’t get into my comfortable kill range... then that animal has beat me anyway. And I’m comfortable at 40 in situations
        Forgive me, I meant marginal hits.

I agree if you take a quartering too shot, and there is very little penetration, it's your own **** fault.

Comment

Sorry for starting an archery discussion on a bow hunting forum.

What? You lost me on the deletion talk.

No reason to get butthurt because folks don't agree with you...you shot out an opinion and folks have other opinions. It's called a discussion.
          Last edited by Smart; 11-07-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

What? You lost me on the deletion talk.

No reason to get butthurt because folks don't agree with you...you shot out an opinion and folks have other opinions. It's called a discussion.
            Its my opinion that heavier arrows will leave the venison with a bitter flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by crc
              Your input was this discussion doesn't matter.

Your title is misleading.....your opinion is that heavy arrows are the ONLY way to go. My opinion was the weight difference is minimal in the grand scheme of things so both can be successful with passthroughs and are.. Maybe this internet thing isn't for you.

BTW...I'm pretty neutral on the idea. I guess that's why I am at 425. Used to shoot 347 and had more passthroughs than not. That being said I'm not anti heavy arrow at all.
              Last edited by Smart; 11-07-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                its my opinion that heavier arrows will leave the venison with a bitter flavor.

lmao!!!

Comment

Yes you do...
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

I am shooting 30" arrows with 428 grns and 12.7% FOC out of a 29" 70# Halon. Here is my experience with the last 2 deer. Same exact set up for each deer.

1. Huge Oklahoma bodied buck at 30 yds. Broadside shot, hit behind front shoulder Double lung. Complete pass through and then some, no issues.

2. Small hill country buck at 28 yds. Hit a little high and forward, through both shoulders, but did not contact bone or shoulder blade. Arrow did penetrate both sides, but did not pass through.

I am thinking of adding 50 grns to my total arrow upfront, but am hesitant because this set up is flying extremely well for me, and I don't want to mess up a good thing. Should I add the extra weight, or is this setup good to go? For reference, I currently shoot Easton HEXX 330 shafts with 50gr insert and 100gr heads. I am thinking of adding additional 25gr. inserts and using 125gr. heads. 2nd question, would that set up have me underspined?

Comment

Am I the only one who has no idea what his arrow weighs? lol I've been shooting the same arrows sense I was a kid. Not a clue what they weigh, but it works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Yes you do...

Comment

Your title is misleading.....your opinion is that heavy arrows are the ONLY way to go. My opinion was the weight difference is minimal in the grand scheme of things so both can be successful with passthroughs and are.. Maybe this internet thing isn't for you.

BTW...I'm pretty neutral on the idea. I guess that's why I am at 425. Used to shoot 347 and had more passthroughs than not. That being said I'm not anti heavy arrow at all.
                          Misleading? So lighter arrow equal more pass through?

Post #28 I put the benefits of a lighter faster arrow.

ONLY way to go? Thought I've been supporting my opinion on this topic, not telling people they're wrong?

Internet thing isn't for me? C'mon Boomer.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            Its my opinion that heavier arrows will leave the venison with a bitter flavor.
                            Because it goes through so slow the fletching glue contacts the meat too long. I read about it... in a book

Comment

Misleading? So lighter arrow equal more pass through?

Post #28 I put the benefits of a lighter faster arrow.

ONLY way to go? Thought I've been supporting my opinion on this topic, not telling people they're wrong?

Internet thing isn't for me? C'mon Boomer.

Lmao at Boomer. My parents are boomers windowlicker.
                              Nobody said anything about more passthroughs. Read your title.

You initial post suggested your “only way to go”ideal. Especially the last sentence . Folks suggest otherwise and you start apologizing about posting on a bowhunting forum. Time to head back to your safe space..[emoji23]

Comment

Popcorn [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X