2 55 gallon feeder 110 gallon Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 55 gallon feeder 110 gallon Help Please

Im havin the welding class here at school do a little project for me... I am supplying all the material they are supplying all the work

Just need some pics of 110 gallon feeders... two 55 gallon feeders stacked on top of eachother. I know there are some out there.

Post up your pics please so I can give these boys a direction to head.

Thanks!

Stick them on top of each other and hammer it! Careful not to stay in one spot to long, will melt though

Comment

I just did one last night, mine will definitely work but I'm not the best/prettiest welder in the world YET. I did mine with a small wire fed welder, had it set on C (has A,B,C,D setting) B wasn't quite hot enough to keep a good weld and D was so hot it was burning through. Both barrels were the same size but the only thing I ran into during the process that I had to go easy with was that one barrel had a solid metal rim and the other just had a rolled rim so the inside of the rim was hollow, I had to weld from the solid rim down to the hollow rim or it would burn through the hollow rim. Overall it came out good though and will serve the purpose, I plan on painting it heavy so it will last. The only reason why I double stacked them is so I could fill it to the brim and hopefully save some fuel from driving up and having to refill it as often. If you need pics let me know and I'll try to take a few.

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
        Stick them on top of each other and hammer it! Careful not to stay in one spot to long, will melt though
        Can you explain this a little more.....thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
          Can you explain this a little more.....thanks
          He means because the the metal is thin on the barrel to tack weld a spot then move to a different spot and keep going around the barrel like that so you don't get it so hot that it melts through.

Moving from spot to spot allows the metal you just welded to cool, while you weld a different spot.

Hammering a hot weld removes the slag, and makes for less grinding to make it pretty.

I would like to see some pics if you get around to snapping a few of it.
          Thanks.

Comment

Give them a little more challenge....and one that is not so top heavy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gate feeder1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	24054978

Comment

I thought about this.. But adding a funnel to the bottom of both barrels to combine to just one feed unit...

But that makes them build a platform, and a ladder. Makes Me buy two funnels, two lids, two timers, two solar chargers, and two batteries.. Having one of everything is more cost effective.

And steel ain't cheap!

I'm having them put 9 foot legs on it and mounting the legs to the welded together barrels in the middle to distribute the weight.. Like the pic... Was just hoping somebody had some more insight on it... Kids need pictures.
              The one pic I posted I stole from a classifieds ad here barrel is on its top in the pic...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Coach W; 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

4 legs or a pedestal

Try using a 4 leg belly band to better handle the added weight. This will help with stability when filling it too. Nothing like climbing up that high with a 50# bag and having the feeder shift on you. You can put the belly band at the top rib of the bottom barrel to lower the center of gravity. Make sure to have wide feet on your legs to keep from sinking.

You can also make a low pedestal out of angle iron cheaply and have the feeder motor low. Just use a round barrel width varmint cage to keep the coons out.

If you're stuck on using a 3 leg belly band, tie the leg bottoms together to avoid it shifting.

Comment

when I was working at a fabrication company years ago, one of the managers did this on the side and we used them at our lease in Del Rio to save on fuel and # of trips required to fill them. Be sure to place the leg supports on the upper most barrel and weld the supports all the way around. He didn't use a funnel on the bottom of the barrel. the seam to tie them both together is critical as they will be holding up quite a bit of weight.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Here's where the boys are at as we speak. Coming along pretty well... Need to finish welding, then painting.

Then I will add the funnel. And I allready have a coon cage for it.

I think they are doing pretty good. What do y'all think.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Sorry bout the side ways pics... But the boys are working hard!

Comment

Brother your funnel should allready be in their Good luck getting that sucker in now

That is a TON of weight in a very small foot print on those legs to. I would see about having them weld a piece of tubing around the barrel conecting the legs together.

Comment

On my next one I'll leave the bottom of the top one in place. Just cut large holes in it so the corn can pass through, but when you drop a corn sack in there it doesnt pass through.

Don't ask how I got it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                              Brother your funnel should allready be in their Good luck getting that sucker in now

That is a TON of weight in a very small foot print on those legs to. I would see about having them weld a piece of tubing around the barrel conecting the legs together.
                              Ya we have some gussets that are yet to be welded to... And the funnel is on back order sooo.. I think i'm crawling in.

Comment

Working...
                              X