Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your smoked deer rib recipe

How do you smoke your deer ribs?

Trim the little bit of meat off them and turn it into smoked sausage.

Seriously, I've never seen a deer with enough meat on the ribs to justify starting up my pit. Maybe one of those big ol northern deer?

Comment

I don't eat them

Comment

Me either

Comment

I process my own deer. When I want ribs off of a deer, I leave all of the extra meat around them when I quarter them(flanks, etc.). Then you have more meat to work with and smoke them just like pork or beef ribs. The only difference is I usually wrap the venison ribs since they are so lean. Rub with honey, mustard, black pepper, and a touch of crushed red pepper. 200-225 degrees for a couple of hours and you are good to go. Add your favorite bbq sauce the last half hour if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            I process my own deer. When I want ribs off of a deer, I leave all of the extra meat around them when I quarter them(flanks, etc.). Then you have more meat to work with and smoke them just like pork or beef ribs. The only difference is I usually wrap the venison ribs since they are so lean. Rub with honey, mustard, black pepper, and a touch of crushed red pepper. 200-225 degrees for a couple of hours and you are good to go. Add your favorite bbq sauce the last half hour if you wish.
            I'll try it! thanks

Comment

Be careful not to cook to long as they can diminish to nothing if you're not careful. They need to be monitored a little more careful than beef or pork ribs. Let us know how they turn out. I will be doing some for the Super Bowl!

Comment

I always make mine too smokey!!!

Comment

I never waste the ribs. Second best meat on the deer.

For the oven. Put ribs in pan with beer ( I like Shiner Bock) about five or six shakes of whorchishire and alittle liquid smoke. Cover with foil and bake at 200-225 for 6-7 hrs.

For smoker. Marinade overnite in beer, whorchishire and garlic. Put on smoker for two hrs at 225. Place back in marinade pan with one cup of marinade. Cover with foil and put back in smoker for 4 hrs.

The rib bones will pull out of the meat and there will be about a half inch slab of meat. and will be the most tender you've eaten.
                  I've converted alot of people who thought that there was no meat on the ribs or that
                  thought it was tough.
                  My wife thinks it's better than the backstraps.

Comment

I am looking forward to smoking my first batch! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know how they come out.

Comment

Working...
                    X