X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heck yeah!! I'd smoke that buck no questions asked out there lol.

How were the blinds? Did you need to bring a chair? How far are the shots?

Comment

Just your typical 2 man bow type ground blinds. The blinds have 2 chairs but some guys brought there own.
        The spot we sat in had about a max 80 yd shot probably which is about where the buck was standing when he hit the dirt. The feeder was sitting about 50 yds away but nothing seemed interested in it, at least last night they didn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did they hang around long or just passing through?

Comment

They walked out with about 10 minutes of shooting light left. They came into the shooting lane for about 10 seconds before the trigger was pulled lol
            They acted like there was a good chance they would be back in the same spot the next day so hopefully someone else got a chance at one

Comment

Sweet. I'm looking forward to it. If I get one then great. I know it's low success rate.

Comment

Congrats to your son. Nice axis buck. I am glad y'all had a good experience. It sounds like they have have improved over the years. My son hunted there as well many years ago and the staff didn't seem real enthused about a hunt of any form.

trophy8...I would take a comfortable chair, something to pack corn in and maybe some extra camo cloth. We could only shoot in certain directions and could not track a deer if it ran off. for safety reasons.

OP, again congrats to your son, and nice gesture on his part to give someone else a chance in that spot.

Comment

Just returned home with my son from this hunt. He was one of the fortunate kids to get a deer, a WT spike (1 1/2 years old, 90#).

The harvest total for the 20 youth hunters was three axis deer and two WT. I had expected a better success rate for this hunt. 20 hunters for a hunt area the size of GSP is a stretch, but it does allow 20 youths to participate. Overall, I think the park staff and volunteers did a good job (it's not their fault that the deer did not seem to be moving).

Good luck to the youth hunt scheduled for next weekend. I hope the change in weather gets the deer moving for a better harvest.

Last edited by seadog; 01-01-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Heck yeah!! I'd smoke that buck no questions asked out there lol.

How were the blinds? Did you need to bring a chair? How far are the shots?
                    We were at Blind #15. Below is the blind. I think most are similar.
                    The feeder was 57 yards from the blind at #15. The maximum shot there would have been around 100 yards. His deer was taken in front of the feeder at about 55 yards. Bring a cushion, the plastic chairs get hard after a couple of hours!

Comment

Dang. 4 deee is nuts. I wonder if the full moon had them bedded during the day? I'll bring a chair. Those shots will be easy money if they'll show up.

Comment

No hunters saw anything tonight. Hope for tomorrow.

Comment

Bummer, hopefully the morning will be the ticket

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            No hunters saw anything tonight. Hope for tomorrow.
                            Dang. This isn’t looking like good place to hunt. Oh well. Gotta try anyway. Are y’all baiting besides the feeder they set up?

Comment

Everyone left empty handed.

One blind had an axis this morning but wouldn’t come out of the brush then spooked. They were the only couple to see anything.

Ranger said this is his first ever hunt to kill nothing in 15 years.

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

Working...
                                X