Benbrook Lake 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sreppep View Post
    I understand wanting to get a trophy but a "small" buck to you might be a trophy to someone that hasn't shot one before. I'm sure everyone on here has shot several "small" bucks in their time. Mine was probably far from a trophy to you, but it'll be shoulder mounted on my wall.
    I think it's more about letting bucks mature, don't worry about your buck I don't think anybody's throwing stones. That's a nice buck and looks to be pretty mature. I passed on two Bucks last year that were 13 in but only about two and a half years old, from some of the Bucks I had on cam I can tell you there's some trophy potential in those deer out there. Both of those bucks that I passed on were shot in the same week that I saw them. Doesn't really get under my skin though, I'm sure they made someone very happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
      I think it's more about letting bucks mature, don't worry about your buck I don't think anybody's throwing stones. That's a nice buck and looks to be pretty mature. I passed on two Bucks last year that were 13 in but only about two and a half years old, from some of the Bucks I had on cam I can tell you there's some trophy potential in those deer out there. Both of those bucks that I passed on were shot in the same week that I saw them. Doesn't really get under my skin though, I'm sure they made someone very happy.

I didn't take it that you were throwing stones, just saying some guys have never had the chance of shooting a legal buck so they will shoot first one they see just because they've never seen or had the chance to shoot one before. Thanks! He was definitely pretty mature. I'll be pickier with my next one, I have no desire to shoot one smaller than this one was.

Comment

I didn't take it that you were throwing stones, just saying some guys have never had the chance of shooting a legal buck so they will shoot first one they see just because they've never seen or had the chance to shoot one before. Thanks! He was definitely pretty mature. I'll be pickier with my next one, I have no desire to shoot one smaller than this one was.
        I'd never knock a guy down for shooting a deer that makes him happy, but I think it's a good dialogue to have. Hunters should be aware of how age structure will affect antler growth, and how it's beneficial for all of us if we allow the younger ones to grow a bit.

Comment

Sreppep, I would have shot that buck! He looks very similar to the one I seen a few days ago but its hard to tell because I couldn't clearly see his brow tines. But I know he was tall! He came in on my corn about 7:05 PM, he was with a doe and 2 fawns. I posted my story the evening I saw him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Comment

shooting a legal mature buck with a bow is no easy feat, especially on public land; I've come real close to shooting mature bucks on a couple occasions but was unable to seal the deal.
            This year I finally got a nice mature buck (5.5 years old) and he is going on the wall, not just because he has a nice rack but because of all the years of hard work scouting and learning and practicing that went into that successful hunt.

I have been dreaming for +25 years of shooting a wall hanger with my bow, this year it all came together!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
              You gonna leave that for the guy that's hunting your blind?

In for the LDP!
              haha...thats the trend, just pass it on.

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
              Big thanks to Texasgrown, Bowdude, and Topshot for Shari f the moment with me. Huge shout out to Topshot for putting me on some animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Congrats Blood Trail! It's my pleasure! thanks for hanging out a bit so that i could bring the kiddos to see her
              Last edited by topshot; 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                shooting a legal mature buck with a bow is no easy feat, especially on public land; I've come real close to shooting mature bucks on a couple occasions but was unable to seal the deal.
                This year I finally got a nice mature buck (5.5 years old) and he is going on the wall, not just because he has a nice rack but because of all the years of hard work scouting and learning and practicing that went into that successful hunt.

I have been dreaming for +25 years of shooting a wall hanger with my bow, this year it all came together!
                Awesome congrats! pics??

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude5000 View Post
                  Sreppep, I would have shot that buck! He looks very similar to the one I seen a few days ago but its hard to tell because I couldn't clearly see his brow tines. But I know he was tall! He came in on my corn about 7:05 PM, he was with a doe and 2 fawns. I posted my story the evening I saw him.

Possibly! I shot him at 7:02 Tuesday evening he didn't have a doe with him though.

Comment

Possibly! I shot him at 7:02 Tuesday evening he didn't have a doe with him though.
                    that is a healthy, fat, buck! nice job!

Comment

Back at it again! Wind is not 100% in my favor but will see what happens! Im about as scent free as I can get. Maybe I should roll around in the dirt for a few minutes.

Comment

Little 6 paid me a visit again. Came in about 5:15 and ate for almost 30 minutes then left. Fifth time seeing him. I'd like his gramps to come have a bite to eat!

Comment

Just had 2 guys and a dog walk behind me....my hunt may be over.

Comment

Doe and 2 fawns came back.....no buck. But the guys who walked by earlier came back through and spooked them off.

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude5000 View Post
                              Just had 2 guys and a dog walk behind me....my hunt may be over.

Gotta love the guys scouting during prime time... if that's what they were doing. Had several guys during my hunt last year come through carrying trail cams and corn during prime hours of morning and evening hunts.

Comment

Nice work! When are you posting the pics?

Comment

Working...
                                X