Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KMock View Post
    My buddy put three of us in and we drew the first archery/nilgai at LA. We hunt together all over the west so we don't mind a challenging hunt. But after reading some of the threads on this hunt I am having second thoughts. Is it worth 5 days of a guy's season? Success rates don't scare us, we do it for the adventure and fellowship more than the kill. But I don't want to get into a circus of a pumpkin patch. Hopefully I am wrong! I would love to hear form some LA vets. Thanks in advance.
    Go get em!
    Kasey
    110% go for it. I got my first archery kill out there last year and it was the most rewarding hunts I've had. It kicked my butt, but looking back at it now is pretty cool. I got drawn for the first whitetail archery hunt out there this season and I can't wait to go back. Just make sure you are somewhat in shape because it is a tough, but rewarding hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
      110% go for it. I got my first archery kill out there last year and it was the most rewarding hunts I've had. It kicked my butt, but looking back at it now is pretty cool. I got drawn for the first whitetail archery hunt out there this season and I can't wait to go back. Just make sure you are somewhat in shape because it is a tough, but rewarding hunt.
      Thanks, and congrats on your first kill! We plan to be there for the first archery hunt as well. Look forward to meeting everyone. Looks like a lot of TBHers will be there. Did you feel crowded, did other hunters interfere with your hunt?

Comment

Thanks, and congrats on your first kill! We plan to be there for the first archery hunt as well. Look forward to meeting everyone. Looks like a lot of TBHers will be there. Did you feel crowded, did other hunters interfere with your hunt?
        I noticed that most guys won't hunt more than a couple hundred yards away from their trucks. My spot was about 7 miles in and I only saw 1 other person out that far. Take advantage of the scouting day we get and really put in some work. I biked/walked over 20 miles last year just exploring and still only saw a fraction of the refuge.

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
          I noticed that most guys won't hunt more than a couple hundred yards away from their trucks. My spot was about 7 miles in and I only saw 1 other person out that far. Take advantage of the scouting day we get and really put in some work. I biked/walked over 20 miles last year just exploring and still only saw a fraction of the refuge.
          sounds like public land in Colorado! Thanks Jake.

Comment

sounds like public land in Colorado! Thanks Jake.
            No problem! I drive a silver f150 if you wanna come up and talk when we get out there. Good luck to y'all.

Comment

My buddy put three of us in and we drew the first archery/nilgai at LA. We hunt together all over the west so we don't mind a challenging hunt. But after reading some of the threads on this hunt I am having second thoughts. Is it worth 5 days of a guy's season? Success rates don't scare us, we do it for the adventure and fellowship more than the kill. But I don't want to get into a circus of a pumpkin patch. Hopefully I am wrong! I would love to hear form some LA vets. Thanks in advance.
              Go get em!
              Kasey
              Kmock,

By no means am I a vet at LANWR, those guys are of a special breed of public land hunters. What I can tell you is my experience, If you have the time to research, which it sounds like you've done in regards to the overalls in success and extreme difficulty, KEEP researching and plan on this;

LANWR is not for most hunters, though extremely difficult it is extremely rewarding. Any kill is remarkable, doe, spike, small buck, hog, especially nilgai and a B&C deer, statistics are accurate. Less than 5% sucess rate, less than 1% on a good buck or Nilgai with a bow. Being pressured by other hunters is up to you and your planning and determination.

I enjoyed the fellowship, camaraderie, and especially the adventure of new unknown territory. Every step is new tracks. That is the best part.

Being in shape is best, but dont doubt a heavier older man, I witnessed an older man over 300lbs consistently make long distance hikes/bikes in, I was in awe at his ability! Sure makes a young man feel a certain way!

This type of hunt tested my skills, pushed my limits and opened my eyes as to how hardcore of a bow hunter I'm capable of becoming. We all continue to learn in the field and from each other. The rules make it difficult, even ignorant as far as restraints, some are completely illogical.

Is it worth 5 days of a guys season? Depends on what you're used to. I left last year as excited as I've ever been to go back and do it all over again. The excitement has never left either. I'm lucky as hell to be going again this year! I lost my voice from whooping and hollering.

This hunt requires extreme preparation for newbs. LANWR separates the men from the boys, hunting a WMA doesnt hold a candle to this.

Bring your best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree if you want to avoid the crowds work harder than them. I put in countless miles last year for the Nilgai Hunt. Most of the other hunters I seen were with in a mile from their trucks. I saw little rd of animals and missed my chance at the one shot I took. I had plenty of close calls. I think I came to full draw three times. It was worth every drop of sweat. I'm looking forward to this year and haven't stopped thinking about last years hunt until I drew for archery deer this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew the first archery deer hunt this year 11/17-11/21. I have never been to Atascosa NWR, but have hunted Aransas. I never saw a deer at Aransas,but did kill a pig. The mosquitoes were like nothing I had ever seen before.......clouds of them hanging around you at all times, and the constant sound of them all around you.
                  We used our Thermacells, which helped with the mosquitoes, but probably contributed to not seeing deer.
                  Are the mosquitoes as bad at Atascosa? My buddy hunted there last year and said it was an awesome hunt. They got covered up with ticks though.
                  I can live with with mosquitoes and ticks for a hunt like that, but was just wondering if I could expect the same volume of mosquitoes as we had in Aransas.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
                    I drew the first archery deer hunt this year 11/17-11/21. I have never been to Atascosa NWR, but have hunted Aransas. I never saw a deer at Aransas,but did kill a pig. The mosquitoes were like nothing I had ever seen before.......clouds of them hanging around you at all times, and the constant sound of them all around you.
                    We used our Thermacells, which helped with the mosquitoes, but probably contributed to not seeing deer.
                    Are the mosquitoes as bad at Atascosa? My buddy hunted there last year and said it was an awesome hunt. They got covered up with ticks though.
                    I can live with with mosquitoes and ticks for a hunt like that, but was just wondering if I could expect the same volume of mosquitoes as we had in Aransas.
                    I hunted LAWR the weekend after Thanksgiving last year and they weren't bad at all. I had my Thermacell with me just in case but I never used it. It was probably around 60 or 70 degrees with some wind so maybe that helped. I did however find a lot of ticks. Even though I was wearing pants and long sleeves, they still managed to find a way to get to my skin. Make sure to check for them often and check for them everywhere on your body. I also got bit by chiggers so be careful with those dudes and don't scratch them. I've still got the scars on my chest from last year.

Comment

Y'all ever try Permethrin (pure 100%, not deet) on your boots and pants?

I've been using it for the past couple years and haven't found any ticks on me since...though not sure how bad those areas are for ticks to begin with.

Comment

Taking advantage of all the time I have down here while I can.

Comment

Dry Laguna Atasocosa.

Makes you wonder where all the gators went to.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            Taking advantage of all the time I have down here while I can.

Are you out there right now? I've heard that it's been pretty dry down there but I don't know if the Hurricane dumped any rain.

Comment

We've been light on rain down here, but it could change before the hunts. I'm only about 15-20 minutes from LAWR.
                              All you new hunters coming down should be using permethrin if you want to avoid the ticks and chiggers.

Comment

Highly recommend this stuff for Laguna. Had so many seed ticks on me one day, I had chills and cold sweats the next day.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X