No announcement yet.

Pig Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That big boar(still alive) was the only one who did this and was smart and big enough to break it. So I knew when I got back to that spot and was 200 yards away that if the hog pipe was not there that the big boar had been there lately.

Comment

I used a titan 20" stake from tractor supply. After having two chains bind and break with tpost and rings. This did the trick. Swivel on top won't bind even with a chain. And even on soft soil pigs can't bind it up and pull it out

Tractor Supply Co. is the source for farm supplies, pet and animal feed and supplies, clothing, tools, fencing, and so much more. Buy online and pick up in store is available at most locations. Tractor Supply Co. is your source for the Life Out Here lifestyle!

Comment

I had the heaviest swivels on it Tractor Supply had and a heavy chain. I will try the cable and titan this time!

Comment

I'm gonna try this out and see how good it works.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            I had the heaviest swivels on it Tractor Supply had and a heavy chain. I will try the cable and titan this time!
            I would only see a benefit from a smaller skinnier stake over a t-post. But I have no issues with a t post and cable so I am keeping it that way

Comment

It always cracks me up when these threads come up. It's amazing how many people have been members here for years and never seen one of these threads.
              They are truly great ideas. I will be building a couple this summer so I can keep my trigger finger happy with hogs

Comment

gonna give it whirl, can't hurt

Comment

One of the pig pipe hogs doing damage, no more to my pipe!
                  Last edited by White Falcon; 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

If you want to use a bridle ring to attatch to a post, do not use a T-post. It will bind, and things will break.

That is what I learned.

I have one on a chain that has held up for years, but have had a couple others with chain and cable that got twisted up and busted.

I use a piece of rigid conduit driven in the ground instead. It is round, which allows the ring to spin without ever binding. Even the biggest boars can only chase it in circles. Haven't had one damaged since I started this about 3 years ago.

If you want a mega cheap feeder, drive a T-post, and toss an old tire over it so the tire is sitting on the ground with the post sticking up out of the middle. Add some corn to the tire, and wait for oinkers. They will step on it, try to flip it around and everything else, but it is simple and works great, for nearly no money.

Comment

Do y'all think there would be more pigs killed over:

A. Feeder that has no fence panels and throws at say dusk and dark 30

OR

B. A pig pipe, that is filled every 2 weeks or so.

Same location, different corn holding devices...

What about if you are only going for one weekend? No pipes out or feeders spinning right now.

Comment

If u can go out there and stay a slinger feeder is fine. The reason I use the pipes is that I kill hogs on a few good sized properties that are by the house. It keeps them out longer and also they will come in alone to get a jump on their buddies. Thus increases my chance to walk up on them eating. I'll sit in a stand for deer but won't for pigs.

Comment

We have a couple on our lease, and the pigs seem to like them. Only problem is we never actually see the pigs using them

Comment

Filled up two pig pipes this last weekend hope to get'r dun this coming weekend.

Comment

I just made my first pig pipe today, it was pretty easy.

I used 3" PVC pipe (cheaper then 4") drilled a hole in the end cap to put the I hook through, then I brazen a 1/2 ring to the end of the chain to slide over the bar, or t-post. I drilled 3 5/8 holes in it, and put the screw cap on

Comment

Originally posted by tater_salad View Post
                                I just made my first pig pipe today, it was pretty easy.

I used 3" PVC pipe (cheaper then 4") drilled a hole in the end cap to put the I hook through, then I brazen a 1/2 ring to the end of the chain to slide over the bar, or t-post. I drilled 3 5/8 holes in it, and put the screw cap on
                                I made mine the same and have since gotten ride of chain because it does not move freely around a t post and a big boar kept breaking it. I now use a clamped cable that is run thru the hole and no more eye bolt

Comment

Working...
                                X