No announcement yet.

Tamales Houston Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do folks pay more to have tamales made than they cost to just buy at the store? And whats worse is you are providing the expensive part, the meat. Makes no sense to me. From what I've seen some pay I can get them served up with rice and beans cheaper than they pay to have some made.

Comment

X9

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
        Why do folks pay more to have tamales made than they cost to just buy at the store? And whats worse is you are providing the expensive part, the meat. Makes no sense to me. From what I've seen some pay I can get them served up with rice and beans cheaper than they pay to have some made.

Granny's prices are not bad and they are 1000x better than store bought.

Comment

Last I checked Grannies had a 20# minimum, but they didn't seem to care if the meat was deboned or not when calculating weight. I took a hind quarter the first year and liked it so much I took them a whole deer the next. I didn't think it through very well, because I was somewhat shocked when they called to tell me my 150 dozen tamales were ready for pick up. I fed friends and family for the next year.

Comment

When we were on patrol we used to eat at this Jalisco restaurant and my partner became friends with the owner and staff we would shoot a number of hogs and gave them to the cooks and they gave us all the tamales we could have. But we were overrun with hogs and those ladies made a bunch of tamales to sell so all they had to buy was the masa lard and spices and husks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mmmm tamales. One of my best friends growing up is Hispanic and every year his family gets together and makes a butt load of them. If I'll bring them a hog before Thanksgiving they give me more than I can eat in a year in return!

Comment

Tamales

Bringing this to the top... looking to see if any new places have opened or is Granny’s Tamales still the go to place? I live close to Doziers but they don’t do them anymore.
                Last edited by Soclose; 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Granny's is charging $8 a dozen right now. I had some done at midway and they were pretty good, but definitely not Granny's.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                    I've used Pete's several times, but it sounds like Granny's is winning the vote so far. Might have to give them a try...
                    I've used 'em both, and Pete's ain't even in the same game... If you compare a wrapped up dozen of Pete's with Granny's, just the size difference will show you the difference... Granny's are twice as big, and they're not all masa...

Comment

Going to drop off at Granny’s tomorrow.... can’t wait to try them!

Comment

Just got back 60 dozen from Granny's very good tamales.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                          $20 a dozen?? That is nuts.

That is why we make ours every year.
                          You can buy pork tamales for less than 10 and all you have to do is show up

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
                            You can buy pork tamales for less than 10 and all you have to do is show up
                            Apparently not in Colorado

Comment

Working...
                            X