What did I do to my wagyu??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP you may have had horse

If you don't mind telling, what did they cost?

I am super skeptical of anything like that

Comment

I had a Wagyu chuck eye from them (Wagyuru out of Jackson Co I’m assuming) for the first time last weekend. It was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Or...........

I got ripped off by some goober at the farmers market.

What do you guys think???

I have ordered steaks a couple of times from Chicago Steak Company and had it shipped in dry ice. There are surely plenty of other steak places for high end choice, prime or wagyu and so on.

The steaks that I have ordered (not wagyu) have always been very tender and juicy and I do them on cast iron, not over coals. I think done right, it should not matter as long as you know what and how you are supposed to be cooking. There are plenty of ways to get a good steak.

Looking at Chicago Steak, their American Wagyu shows two 12oz Ribeyes delivered for $159. Knock off the 3 days shipping, you are probably looking at about $60 for a 3/4 pound steak.

Allen Brothers shows their Wagyu shipped, four 10oz New York strips for $315. Discounting shipping, about $70 for a 10oz steak.

Not sure what you paid for the farmer's market steaks but I would be curious.

Comment

I see you used my wife's cookbook!

You overcooked those steaks by about 10 minutes

Comment

I bought a wagyu steer this spring. First Wagyu meat I’ve bought. From what I’ve found is that you can’t cook it as long and hamburger meat has to be stirred almost constantly to keep from burning in the skillet. I’m thinking you over cooked it by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everybody talking about how long they cook them, but only one man has said a temp.

I agree with SS. It doesn’t take a raging fire to cook a steak. It also sounds like some of you prefer raw meat too.

Comment

Sounds to me like you got ripped off to me. Cooking them hot and fast wouldn't have made them any tougher. Steaks are supposed to be cooked hot and fast. When I say hot and fast, by grates are about 700 degrees. For cooking steaks, a set of aluminum grill grates makes ALL the difference in the world. I go 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, flip. 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, move to top of the cookmore to get it off the grates. It'll sit there another minute or 2 until they get to an internal temp of about 122ish. Once they hit that they go into a piece of foil, pour a little clarified unsalted butter on them, then wrap and rest for about 8 minutes. I was just thinking about doing a write up on steaks like it did for brisket a few years ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thick fillet high heat 4 - 5 mins per side is usually a perfect medium rare on my grill.

Comment

over cooked it.

Less heat and shorted time. They meat has a lot more fat throughout the meat. Normal steaks have fat on the outside and can take a high hot long style...

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Sounds to me like you got ripped off to me. Cooking them hot and fast wouldn't have made them any tougher. Steaks are supposed to be cooked hot and fast. When I say hot and fast, by grates are about 700 degrees. For cooking steaks, a set of aluminum grill grates makes ALL the difference in the world. I go 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, flip. 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, move to top of the cookmore to get it off the grates. It'll sit there another minute or 2 until they get to an internal temp of about 122ish. Once they hit that they go into a piece of foil, pour a little clarified unsalted butter on them, then wrap and rest for about 8 minutes. I was just thinking about doing a write up on steaks like it did for brisket a few years ago.
                      Nice grill, you make it ?

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                        Nice grill, you make it ?
                        Thank you, and Yes sir! Cannon Pits and Fabrication

Comment

Typically I do 7 mins per side with medium fire on propane grille. I like medium. My wife likes well done, no pink, but I go just past medium with hers, and she likes it the way I cook it. If we eat out though she always gets well done.

Thick fillets though, I always had trouble cooking. I now use a grill thermometer and get the grille to 550° and cook til desired internal temp. turning, I cant remember , need to look at notes.

Comment

Did you buy any of the Cuban cigars he was selling?

How did they taste?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I have to say, I don't know how in the world you guys cook with a raging HOT fire. I do steaks with as small a fire as possible. And I only put the steaks on a wood fire after there's ONLY charcoals left. And for me 5-7 minutes per side is a burnt steak!

Now since I started cooking steaks on a griddle, I do crank up the heat a bit and let the griddle get very hot before dropping the steaks on. A little butter and throw them on the griddle for 3 minutes a side (for everyone but mine, I don't flip mine. 3 minutes is plenty and on one side for mine).
                              I agree low and slow.

OP - the Wagu has a lot of marbling and fat on it so a high heat will create flames every time and make it tough. Also, the more you flip and move steaks, the tougher it gets. For med-rare (more on the rare side) I cook my steak 2-3 minutes on each side unless the heat is lower then I'll cook 5-10 minutes. I also check with a meat thermometer. For medium steaks I cook 5-7 minutes on each side.

Comment

As evidenced by the WIDELY varied ways folks cook steaks, it's pretty obvious it is really hard to mess up a steak!

Comment

Working...
                                X