Drawn for Laguna Atascosa Archery Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
    FYI they want the whole hide and head brought to the check station. Hide dosnt need to touch cart/ truck. That's why they require the tarp
    Someone posted on here that you don't need to take the whole hide that it could be a section of it for testing.

Anyone confirmed that?

Comment

Check station said bring whole hide and head.

Comment

Good luck to the next group and yes permithian is you friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          Check station said bring whole hide and head.
          Thank you.

Comment

250 permits for this hunt at $130.00 each. $32500.00 for 3 calves and 2 cow nilgia. Refuge made $6500.00 per nilgia. 2% hunter sucess rate. 100% refuge manager sucess rate.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
              Someone posted on here that you don't need to take the whole hide that it could be a section of it for testing.

Anyone confirmed that?
              Ranger told us if we got one not to skin it but you could quarter it. He said they wanted it that way and would help you skin it when they are done. This is for the FDA not the park.

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
                250 permits for this hunt at $130.00 each. $32500.00 for 3 calves and 2 cow nilgia. Refuge made $6500.00 per nilgia. 2% hunter sucess rate. 100% refuge manager sucess rate.
                I think they would have better success rates if they had fewer permits hunting at a time.

Comment

For years it was 600 permits per hunt. Then dropped to 400. Now 250. Sucess rate has not improved by allowing less hunters. It is the unsuccessful hunters are the ones who keep driving the "allow less hunters" narrative. The refuge is staff has happily decreased the number of permits and increased the cost. For them it means less work, more money, fewer animals taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                    I think they would have better success rates if they had fewer permits hunting at a time.
                    No it won't. It's just a hard hunt.

Comment

For years it was 600 permits per hunt. Then dropped to 400. Now 250. Sucess rate has not improved by allowing less hunters. It is the unsuccessful hunters are the ones who keep driving the "allow less hunters" narrative. The refuge is staff has happily decreased the number of permits and increased the cost. For them it means less work, more money, fewer animals taken.
                      I didnt say les permits total just add more dates as there were a lot of people ruining hunts for other people. It also wouldnt change the amount of work as they did nothing after the first day and only passed out forms to the ones who didnt print theirs out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        No it won't. It's just a hard hunt.
                        X2. This hunt not for the weekend warriors.

Comment

Did they track whitetail? Curious how many deer were taken...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This was the nilgia/hog only hunt. The next 2 hunts will include deer. Yes they will keep a log on the same chalk board. The chalk board will have all deer/nilgia/hog kills listed in the order they are brought in. Generally 1 maybe 2 good bucks harvested during a Archery hunt. Fawns and young bucks make up the majority of the deer harvest.

Comment

for what it is worth, I saw 28 nilgai, had 4 in bow range, took two shots, and hit one, but it bounced off her shoulder. there were plenty of nilgai, but not enough smart hunters. I spent a lot of time trying to educate novice "primetime walkers"

I would definitely go back. the only reason I didn't have a dead nilgai was a some poor execution on my part and a little bit of tough luck.
                              I had bow range nilgai via spot and stalk, sit still for hours, and thru dumb luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                                for what it is worth, I saw 28 nilgai, had 4 in bow range, took two shots, and hit one, but it bounced off her shoulder. there were plenty of nilgai, but not enough smart hunters. I spent a lot of time trying to educate novice "primetime walkers"

I would definitely go back. the only reason I didn't have a dead nilgai was a some poor execution on my part and a little bit of tough luck.
                                I had bow range nilgai via spot and stalk, sit still for hours, and thru dumb luck.
                                Thanks for sharing your sightingd. **** the luck though. 4 nilgai in bow range, what distance do you consider bow range?

I'm shooting out to 70yds.

Comment

Working...
                                X