No announcement yet.

Buck Arrowed: Waiting Till Daylight to Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit one top of shoulder and it angled thru the neck without hitting anything vital he took it like a champ tracked and trailed for miles even with dogs and he was gone...ended with me getting him in late november with rifle and therefore how I knew the exact hit and exit amazing what they can take but don't give up on him he circled back to right where i shot him only 2 days later and i caught him on camera....good luck!

Comment

Well we had 3 dogs and 6 guys come out and look for the deer and no luck. We lost the blood trail about 60 yards past the feeder then it disappeared. He ran into an oak thicket so it’s dark in there and all the fallen leaves that are orange and red make it impossible to find blood. We looked for over 5 hours. I also grid searched the whole area. Gonna get a drone to fly around and see if we see anything. Other than that I’ll keep an eye out for buzzards and just hope he survived and shows back up
      Last edited by Adthomps; 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you did everything possible. I hope he shows back up for you.

Comment

Happens to the best of us... I'd be surprised to hear from anyone who's bow hunted for a while say they HAVEN'T lost one before. Part of the game buddy. You'll be better next time because of this.

Comment

These deer are very difficult for dogs to find. A lot of times I won’t even take those calls. In most cases no vitals were hit and the deer has four good legs under him. Even if the dog jumps him, the deer can easily outrun the dog. Getting one in this condition to bay takes a little luck. Neck shots, high shoulder shots and shots in the back are the absolute worst, especially with a bow. One lung, center mass, or broken legs we have more success.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              These deer are very difficult for dogs to find. A lot of times I won’t even take those calls. In most cases no vitals were hit and the deer has four good legs under him. Even if the dog jumps him, the deer can easily outrun the dog. Getting one in this condition to bay takes a little luck. Neck shots, high shoulder shots and shots in the back are the absolute worst, especially with a bow. One lung, center mass, or broken legs we have more success.
              Yea I understand that but Id rather pay someone to try to find it and be absolutely sure than not give it a go. I can say with certainty that I did everything I possibly could to recover the deer. He either died a long way away on the neighbors property or he lived and hopefully will show back up.
              Last edited by Adthomps; 09-30-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

He’ll be over 175 yards if you hit a shoulder, my prediction. If you have hogs likely no buzzards.

Good luck
                Last edited by Johnny44; 09-30-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Update?

Comment

Originally posted by FamousAmos View Post
                    Update?
                    Post #92

Comment

I commend you for putting so much effort into the search.

Sounds like he may live to give you a second chance.

As heartbreaking as it is to lose an animal, you can learn from it. Just figure out what you did wrong and don't do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
                        Yea I understand that but Id rather pay someone to try to find it and be absolutely sure than not give it a go. I can say with certainty that I did everything I possibly could to recover the deer. He either died a long way away on the neighbors property or he lived and hopefully will show back up.

Sure, did not mean to sound so negative. I forgot to add that I think the deer will make it. You’ll probably see him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
                          Well we had 3 dogs and 6 guys come out and look for the deer and no luck. We lost the blood trail about 60 yards past the feeder then it disappeared. He ran into an oak thicket so it’s dark in there and all the fallen leaves that are orange and red make it impossible to find blood. We looked for over 5 hours. I also grid searched the whole area. Gonna get a drone to fly around and see if we see anything. Other than that I’ll keep an eye out for buzzards and just hope he survived and shows back up

It sucks but at this point I would get out of the woods and let things settle down. If anything set some more cameras so you can get pics of him soon.

Comment

Sorry man...I know that’s frustrating...you did all you could...cheers to ya...next time brutha!!!

Comment

I also have a shoulder blade story. Back in 2003 I had a target buck named Daggers because of his 7-8" brow tines. He came in opening morning and my shot hit the shoulder blade. With only 2-3" of penetration and finding my arrow broken just behind the insert, I knew he wasn't dead. This was on Sept. 29 or so but on opening day that year. He came back to the feeder on Dec. 24 and I saw him on camera for another 2 years before he disappeared. Once he was shot, he went nocturnal and not one pic in daylight.

Best of luck to you. I know how hard it is when you make a bad shot but it happens.

Doug.

Comment

Working...
                              X