Driving on sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stickman View Post
    Don’t air down till you have to. Steady pressure on gas pedal and 4hi will just about get you through most you’ll encounter on PINS. Plan trip on and off the beach based on tide, low tide travel is best. Tow straps, shackles, shovel, jack, and a few 2x12 boards about 2-3ft long is what I take down. Be sure your spare is good and a 12v compressor is good too. An extra 12pk of beer just in case someone needs to pull you out is a nice form of payment/gesture.
    This is what I do when I go to the beach. I got stuck once, going somewhere I had no business, but I will be prepared if it ever happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
      Highly recommended. I got my Chevy 2500 buried to the frame this weekend crossing the dunes in Matagorda. 20 minutes with a shovel and a set of ebay knockoff max trax and I drove right out. I don't think you could ever get stuck enough in sand where you coudlnt get it out with those things and some sweat. Another good item is a couple buckets so you can haul water from the surf to pack down the sand in front of your tires. And make sure you have a full gas tank and plenty of drinks.
      I've never seen the maxtrax, but looks great. You mind posting a link to the ones you bought?

Comment

I carry these but haven't had to use them. https://www.amazon.com/Offroad-Recov...omotive&sr=1-4

I've been through some super soft stuff in my regular 4wd F150 and been fine. Don't stop in the softest of soft spots and keep a steady foot on the pedal and you'll be good. I've never aired down. Traction boards, a shovel (or use the traction boards as one), and a bucket and you can get out of just about any sand. You don't have to get too fancy.

Comment

all those tools and if you have one...a rubber bed mat that's always in the back...I"ve used it under the rear tires after some greasy 1in deep mud in the bay on a 2wd Ford Ranger...bed mat is a huge saver!

Comment

Low tide, not incoming unless you really want to work fast.

Comment

PINS conditions vary wildly, been down there in 2wd (not a 2wd truck, just didn't have to use 4wd I mean) the full 60 one weekend and on the next trip counted 22 trucks stuck (pulled out about 6 of them) with several trucks overheated/mechanical issues along the way. Having said that, low tide is typically pretty decent driving. Use common sense and don't stomp the gas when you start bogging and you'll be fine as long as you have 4wd, have a shovel, 5 gallon bucket, and if you really want to be safe some stretches of old junk carpet. If you're going on a weekend you won't wait long to be pulled out, somebody will get you. Oh, I've never aired tires down and I've been down there in some truly horrible conditions. No doubt it helps but I've not done it.
              Last edited by justletmein; 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

We did the entire drive earlier this summer and actually hit bad weather coming back which pushed the water all the way up to the dunes in several places. I have a 4x4 ram 1500 with factory highway tires. Besides 4x4 which is absolutely a necessity, it's much more HOW you drive, then what you drive. We didn't need to air down tires, don't have A/T tires, and only a 2" leveling kit on the truck. Now that said, I did bring a tow strap, shovel, a couple 2x6s and a couple buckets for water all incase I did get stuck. We also drove with other vehicles.

The best advice I got, was to let up and "feather" the throttle when you feel yourself starting to spin and bogging down in the sand. Instinct tells you to give it gas to push your way through, but that only digs you down. Think of driving on a slick street or boat ramp. When you start spinning, let up and ease back into the gas to keep you on top of the sand, not dug down into it.

Lastly, be alert and watch what's in front of you. Lots of debris and logs wash up onto the beaches, some of which is partially buried. Also, there could be nesting sea turtles along the beach (not sure when the nesting season is).

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                  I've never seen the maxtrax, but looks great. You mind posting a link to the ones you bought?
                  This is what I have. I think the other X-Bulls actually have a higher load rating but I got these because they are a little bigger. https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BULL-Reco...YAAOSwolpcM~rx

Comment

Driving on sand

Working 4x4 truck with anything better than a street tire is all I ever needed to get from Sabine to the naked beach(high island).

FYI you’re better off getting stuck around star lake and duck hunting than finishing the trip to see see weed and beached whales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Black Ice; 08-16-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X