Acorns! Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns! Wow!

Mason County: First trip out to the least to hunt started yesterday but apparently ended last week! LOL Checked cameras on four feeders, up until a week ago great movement and several shooters around. Then the drop happened. Literally acorns everywhere there is any type of oak tree. Some are almost all gone, others are just starting. This morning there was not one deer at any feeder. I have never seen this type of shut down on our lease before. Hope they fall quickly and we can get to the next phase because it is going to be slow for awhile. And it's hard to hunt the acorns when they are everywhere.

This is a new phenomena - I don’t think anything like this has ever happened.

Comment

Every year, same song and dance.

Comment

Hey, I got an idea... How bout you get out in the woods and hunt the dang deer... If they're eatin' acorns, probably be a good idea to go sit under an oak tree...

Comment

this time of year I hunt away from the feeders in the oaks. be where they want to be

Comment

That's a great idea ...

Comment

Hot, Acorns, rut

Comment

Several years back I was leasing near Mason and we had a heavy acorn fall. I hunted the first five weekends of season without seeing a single animal...not one...not even at a distance. On weekend 6 it was like flipping a switch and I was covered up with them.

As others have said, you're best bet is to get down away from the feeders and hunt trails to where the action is the heaviest until the acorns are done.

Comment

Its to late this year but next first of next year find a good cluster of oak trees and fertilize around the dripline. Do it again in the spring. Granddad use to do this in Menard at the old family ranch before feeders were even thought of. Those clusters always produced larger and sweeter acorns and the deer would walk past all other clusters to get to the ones he fertilized. My brother killed hiss first deer at one of those clusters. Even after he passed even the yrs we didnt fertilize the deer would still go to those first.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Hey, I got an idea... How bout you get out in the woods and hunt the dang deer... If they're eatin' acorns, probably be a good idea to go sit under an oak tree...

Which one? I’ve got several hundred. [emoji23]

Comment

Yep, it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an oak tree at our place in east Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by fishndude View Post
                        hot, acorns, rut
                        drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Hot, Acorns, rut
                          Hot, acorns, rut (I saw a spike chasing a doe. The rut is ON! - actually pre-rut), actual rut

Fixed it for you, Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            this is dumb. Point me to which of the 250,000 live oaks on our place i should sit. It sounds good in theory but its still darn tough to get a pattern on one in the hill country with a bow.

Comment

Hunt the water hole close to some acorns.

Comment

Working...
                              X