Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Its not a feeder pen. i started building hand corn pens. that one is 36x16 with hog panels. i cut the wire down to two ft in a spot that puts the deer broad side to the stand. So far no hog has gotten in. My most recent pens are only two ft tall and the deer jump in them much more readily. Hogs still have not tried to cross the wire even though they come and look in.

Im taking two cattle 16ft panels and splitting them down the middle. that makes a four sided pen 16x16
    I have been contemplating doing that with a 52" cattle panel making 26" tall pens. I just wasn't sure if the hogs would stay out or not.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      I have been contemplating doing that with a 52" cattle panel making 26" tall pens. I just wasn't sure if the hogs would stay out or not.
      Yeah it works fine. Not saying hogs cant tear in ut so far ii have not had one do so. Cut the wire between the cross wires . You will be able to tap the sharp ends three inches into the ground and really help hold it in place..

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
        Sounds like the juice to me. Careful how you go in and out and you’ll get him killed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I have a similar spot like Etxbuckman does that i found just recently. Is it too late to try to start a handcorn spot and hang a treestand?

I already have a stand setup on a ridge about 100 yards to the east up the path from the actual creek crossing. The creek runs at an angle (northeast to southwest) so its only 80 yard north and 100 yards to the west where it crosses an old abandon road.

I guess my main question is should i risk trying to get closer or stay on the ridge that runs parallel with the creek? I have not gone down in there other than to hang my set two weeks before opener. I was saving it for the rut which is fast approaching. We should have fast action here in the next week or so.

Comment

What are y'all calling ridges? Pretty flat where I'm at? How much of an elevation change would be considered a ridge?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            What are y'all calling ridges? Pretty flat where I'm at? How much of an elevation change would be considered a ridge?

The one i am referencing is about a 15 foot elevation change.
            In this pic, im at the bottom with the same creek to my back. Just down a little ways from my other set. This is one of my rifle sets.

Im hunting the same ridge, but down to the left about 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              I have a similar spot like Etxbuckman does that i found just recently. Is it too late to try to start a handcorn spot and hang a treestand?

I already have a stand setup on a ridge about 100 yards to the east up the path from the actual creek crossing. The creek runs at an angle (northeast to southwest) so its only 80 yard north and 100 yards to the west where it crosses an old abandon road.

I guess my main question is should i risk trying to get closer or stay on the ridge that runs parallel with the creek? I have not gone down in there other than to hang my set two weeks before opener. I was saving it for the rut which is fast approaching. We should have fast action here in the next week or so.
              I'd do it. I had a spot about 50 yards behind my feeder- I actually walk right by it to my new location- that I got going in mid-December of last year. I had deer on it within a week, including one real nice 9-point that never once came to my feeder, even though you could just about throw a stone from one place to another.

Comment

The one i was talking about does not have a feeder on it. Its actually overlooking a thicket on the old road.
                In this pic, the creek crosses 100 yards away. (Took this picture the day i set this stand and have not been back since sept 12) If i look straight ahead, the creek is about 80 yards.
                There are no rubs or scrapes on the old road but there are many trails coming from the creek that pop out 20 yards from base of the tree. I just font have any proof of bucks using the area. I set this up by using topo maps and setup over oak trees. Gambled on the deer traveling the ridge instead of the creek bed.

Comment

The one i was talking about does not have a feeder on it. Its actually overlooking a thicket on the old road.
                  In this pic, the creek crosses 100 yards away. (Took this picture the day i set this stand and have not been back since sept 12) If i look straight ahead, the creek is about 80 yards.
                  There are no rubs or scrapes on the old road but there are many trails coming from the creek that pop out 20 yards from base of the tree. I just font have any proof of bucks using the area. I set this up by using topo maps and setup over oak trees. Gambled on the deer traveling the ridge instead of the creek bed.

Sure looks like a good spot.

Comment

I know up around Sam Rayburn we have ridges.
                    I guess they will use any rise to travel? I think someone told me a ridge running east { west was the best??

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                      I know up around Sam Rayburn we have ridges.
                      I guess they will use any rise to travel? I think someone told me a ridge running east { west was the best??

In NE TX it's much hillier so ridges are more defined and easy to identify. I think in the area where I primarily hunt closer to Trinity to say "ridge" is a relative term.

Comment

On my old lease the bucks would cruise parallel to creeks and drains and if it was dry they would travel up and down the middle of those creeks.

Comment

No such thing as too late to hand corn. Throw some out, hang a camera, don’t check it too often, when one gets regular go kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                            On my old lease the bucks would cruise parallel to creeks and drains and if it was dry they would travel up and down the middle of those creeks.
                            This is what our bucks do. They cruise creeks like they are highways. I wounded a buck last year, he could have ran straight into the thickest pine thicket around, but he choose to escape via a creek. I trailed him over 500 yards until he got to the neighbors property, so I stopped. He's still alive btw, I'm hunting him again this year. But my point being, he felt the safest using a Creek as his escape route because he was most familiar with it

Comment

Well the little deer with the thing that looked like a stick in his horns came in again this morning. he still has the weird main beam but it IS a stick. I passed him tuesday and he had that stick all polished up with little points all over it.

It must be stuck in there pretty good. he has worn most of the branches of now though.
                              Attached Files

Comment

He has that lodged in there just right. Next time, just reach out and pull that out for him. He'll be your best friend.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Working...
                                X