No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Below the Dam. References are based on the photo on page 1. Depending on wind direction.

Park at the paved parking area right below where it says 'Pecan Grove'. Good paths parallel the outfall stream on both sides. You will see a game trail crossing the stream where the pigs have been moving between CP II and III. I have not had luck hunting around II/III but have spoken to fishermen who have seen hogs making the crossing. Lots of thick cover and hog sign 100 to 200 yards both north and east of CP V. You will see more hog trails crossing the stream right at CP V.

The old road that runs from CP VI to VII is very clear and open. Tons of hog sign and rooting at CP VII, you can even smell the feces most days.

Really thick stuff (and as such, bedding areas) are SW of CP XI.

Another good way to hunt below the dam: Park at the dam overlook. It is not visible on the photo, it is just off the SW corner. From there, go up on the dam itself and glass NE down over the spillway, you will have a tremendous field of view. From there you can also walk to CP IX. The area just across the old river bed from CP IX is also thick with hog sign.

Good luck, and stick one!
    Last edited by NightStalker; 01-17-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Primitive camp is 30.655920° -97.404578° A long hike in, either from the Hwy 95 bridge parking area, or the CR 496 parking area.

Comment

more ninja hogs

Went out again with a recurve on Tuesday. Parked at Gate 6, walked South to the water, then spent about 3 hours going upwind/East. Again, lots of sign, no hogs. On the way back I found a big stand of Arundo, peppered by holes like some kind of hobbit multiplex. I sat outside for a while, downwind, and was convinced it was deserted. I walked around the place, and got down on hands and knees in the biggest opening. It was cold and rainy that morning, but under those reeds everything was bone dry. I looked down and saw for the first time some very fresh pig ****. I was reconsidering the wisdom of my decisions when I heard a massive crack to my left, as reeds were broken by something big moving suddenly. I suppose its the hog's version of racking a shotgun. I went 0-60 backwards out of there faster than I would have thought possible, and that was the last I heard from pigs that day.

I'm new to this, and this experience leaves me with a couple questions. 1: what can you do in a situation where you know where (at least) one hog is in heavy brush but can't see it, hunting alone and lacking dogs? 2: How stupid is crawling around in a hog tunnel?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryango View Post
          I'm new to this, and this experience leaves me with a couple questions. 1: what can you do in a situation where you know where (at least) one hog is in heavy brush but can't see it, hunting alone and lacking dogs? 2: How stupid is crawling around in a hog tunnel?
          1) Back out and use the binos to pick the thicket apart piece by piece. Once you have seen all there is to see, move in a little and do the same thing. Work your way in by moving a few feet at a time and using the binos to find the pig. Stay down wind.

2) Not stupid, we do it all the time. Okay, just because we do it all the time doesn't make it not-stupid, but we do it anyway.

Comment

That's great info Rat, thanks.

I assume that once you get within shooting range, you plug them there in the brush, correct? Do you ever drive them out? What are you looking to accomplish when you crawl in there?

My recurve would be nearly useless in a tunnel, but perhaps a crossbow...

Thanks again.

Comment

Dogs are illegal to hunt pigs at granger!

Comment

Stuck one last weekend!

Granger pig
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                  Granger pig
                  His name is Chris. Not Pig.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ryango View Post
                    That's great info Rat, thanks.

I assume that once you get within shooting range, you plug them there in the brush, correct? Do you ever drive them out? What are you looking to accomplish when you crawl in there?

My recurve would be nearly useless in a tunnel, but perhaps a crossbow...

Thanks again.
                    Yep, shoot them in the cane. We do drive them out sometimes, but drive is really the wrong word. What we do is surround the cane thicket as best we can and then slowly work our way in. Whoever gets a shot takes it or, if the pigs bust and run, just take the running shot.

Many times there are other ways in other than the tunnels, if not you can chunk rocks in to try and spook 'em; this works good if you are by yourself.

Stay downwind, throw the rock over the pigs and upwind, when they bust out hit the pig squeeler or rabbit call and try to get them to stop. If they don't stop, shoot 'em in the lips.

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
                      His name is Chris. Not Pig.

I've heard it both ways...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                        I've heard it both ways...
                        Yea I guess me too.... [emoji2]

Comment

Hunted Gate 4 yesterday morning (started 30 minute before sunrise) with a buddy, found tons of rooting and hog droppings looked very fresh. Came across one hog but it had jets strapped to its legs, barely got a glimpse and it was gone. Left around 10AM and went to Gate 6, good signs but no hog (tons of deer though.) left around 1PM and went to Gate 7 found some really fresh dropping and rooting, no hogs though. Went back to Gate 4 to close off the day around 3:30PM stayed until 30 minutes after sundown no luck. Just out of curiosity has anyone had success with hog call, like recordings of piglets in distress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If u sit with a pig squeeler you might call up another hunter or a yote....that's it!! No hogs will come to your call. Ever. Never ever....lol

Comment

Even if u catch real baby piglets and walk with them and squeeze them every 5 yds or so will u call in a pig....

Comment

We saw 50 pigs or so today in sore finger....and a bunch of deer....it was muddy...

Comment

Working...
                                X