No announcement yet.

Blackened Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the only way I can get my family to eat fish. Unfortunately it sets off my smoke detector and causes the dog to go into a panic attack.

Comment

I sure would like to try this. Or how to to blacken fish. Can anybody give me a quick step by step.

Comment

1) clean and dry fish.

2) cast iron pan on burner to 3/4 of the way.

3) cover the fish with your choice of blackening seasoning.

4) once you are well aware that the pan is hot, put the fish in the land and don't move it.

5) timing depends on the size of the fish and the amount of heat, but for the fish in the photo I would think around 3 min per side.

6) Enjoy.

Comment

I dredge the fish in melted butter to make the seasoning stick better... Which may account for the smoke alarm...

Comment

Saw an ex BIL use a single propane burner like you use to fry turkey. He had a cast iron skillet big enough to fit over the ring when turned upside down. Cooked it on the bottom side of the skillet outside because of the smoke. Came out great.

Comment

Any oil ?

Comment

None

Comment

BBGP gave a good step by step process of how to go about doing it. If you have a well seasoned cast iron pan you really don't need any oil. And if you put butter in the pan it will burn and cause your smoke alarm to go off like gunnyart said.

Comment

That's great work!

Comment

HOLY COW that looks awesome! Blackened redfish is my favorite fish to eat. Going to port A in a couple of weeks and hope I get to bring home some filets.

Comment

Try it over cheese grits and it tastes that much better. Hope you get some fish and try it out

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                          Don't care much for redfish but that looks really tasty!
                          That is the very reason that they started blackening them.

About 25 years ago I saw chef Paul Prudhomme on some afternoon talk show. He was asked about blackened redfish that was sweeping the nation back then to the point of ending beach seining in TX and severely reducing the sport fishing limits. He was credited not with inventing it but with popularizing it.

His answer was that it was because the redfish was tough enough to stand up to the cooking and it was not a very good fish to begin with. By adding tons of seasoning and searing it on the hot pan they managed to make it a hit. We was asked about blackening something like a snapper and his response was something like, "Why would you waste a great piece of fish like that on blackening?".

There is a reason that we beat a piece of veal cutlet flat, dip it in heavy batter, deep fry it and the cover it with thick cream gravy and black pepper. Chicken fried steak is great..... but I'll bet most people would not waste a $10 a pound ribeye by beating it flat and chicken frying it to be covered with gravy.

Blackened redfish is the CFS of the sea.

Comment

Chicken Fried Redfish with cream gravy......yummmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                              I sure would like to try this. Or how to to blacken fish. Can anybody give me a quick step by step.

This is exactly what I do and it has turned out well every time.

Comment

that looks really good!

Comment

Working...
                                X