Converting old slides to digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting old slides to digital?

I'm visiting my mother this weekend and I ran across a case containing hundreds of old slides - pics my dad took from the late 1940's through the mid 60's. After I go through them all (I have a viewer) I will want to get some of them digitized. I see a few places online that provide that service - can any of you photogs give me a recommendation?

I'd like to do this also.

Comment

Find a local place that specializes in copies and such. They usually do this type of thing.

Comment

These services can be expensive. I've used a flatbed scanner to do it in the past. It's time consuming and if the slides are dusty, well, that can be a problem. I ultimately decided to do it myself with a scanner. That way I can crop and edit while my next one is scanning. Just take your time.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc3LcXidpsA"]DIY Slide Scanner Scanning via DSLR - YouTube[/ame]

or

Here’s a quick DIY project that can help you convert your collection of old slide film collection into digital images by Instructables user, barkergk. The project...
          Last edited by dhillis; 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

If you want to do it yourself, you could use something like this for good quality and a faster workflow:

Or something like this for higher quality, although slower:

Comment

I've heard of folks projecting the slides onto a screen and photographing them with their digital camera. Although probably the fastest method, I feel it would give images of lesser quality. I hope those old slides are on Kodachrome.

Comment

Working...
              X