Finally a deer pic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on a couple of things...

Where you hunt, are deer typically large bodied? Or even average bodied?

I've found that the "inside the ears" thing really only applies to either young bucks or teeny bodied bucks in places like the hill country. An average 3.5 to 4.5 year old buck in most places will have ears that are considerably wider than 13 inches in the prone position. At my old place, it was river bottom land and the deer got much larger on average than the rest of the county. I posted a picture of a buck and at least half the crowd responded that it wouldn't make ARs. I disagreed based on measurements I had taken on things the buck was standing near. He was killed the following year and had added a bit of spread, but not much, and his inside was 17 3/4". Guarantee he was 15.5 the year before.

But again, you have to know your herd. If this buck is much smaller on average, it could be close. Even as an average sized buck, I think he clears it with an inch or so to spare.

Comment

He is over 13 he has good tine length as well which makes deer look more narrow than they really are and same goes for short tines they make them look wider then what they really are ! He is a good looking buck good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
        It depends on a couple of things...

Where you hunt, are deer typically large bodied? Or even average bodied?

I've found that the "inside the ears" thing really only applies to either young bucks or teeny bodied bucks in places like the hill country. An average 3.5 to 4.5 year old buck in most places will have ears that are considerably wider than 13 inches in the prone position. At my old place, it was river bottom land and the deer got much larger on average than the rest of the county. I posted a picture of a buck and at least half the crowd responded that it wouldn't make ARs. I disagreed based on measurements I had taken on things the buck was standing near. He was killed the following year and had added a bit of spread, but not much, and his inside was 17 3/4". Guarantee he was 15.5 the year before.

But again, you have to know your herd. If this buck is much smaller on average, it could be close. Even as an average sized buck, I think he clears it with an inch or so to spare.
        east texas. deer are good size.. I think he make it no problem. hope to see him in the daytime

Comment

I think he's AR legal

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
            I know its at night but atleast its a deer. What do yall think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Looks like mine [emoji16]

Both have horns and are at night lol

Comment

The ears are not the law, the inside spread is. The ears are just a general guide.

Comment

I've got this big bodied buck everyday at my stand, but going by the ear guidelines I don't think he's wide enough. He will get a pass this year

Comment

^^^ If nut size made a buck legal...

Comment

He looks good, but there is no way I would chance it in an AR county. He isn't outside the ears.

Comment

Haha, SOB is hung

Comment

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Hes good to go

Comment