No announcement yet.

FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread. Any of you heavy arrow shooters have a short draw(27-27.5) and shoot a slider sight?

Comment

26.5 draw shooting a 5 pin tommy hog

Comment

heavy/efoc arrows have their place in the hunting world, without a doubt but the average hunter stands more to gain from tightening his/her pins gaps (effectively increasing point blank range) while shooting an arrow with a decent amount of grains per # of draw weight. I have found that around 7 grains per # of draw weight we can still build an arrow that:
        1. decreases vertical stringing due to a slightly faster trajectory
        2. has good foc in the 18%+ range
        3. provides good penetration characteristics
        4. maintains proper efficiency with the bow
        and
        5. are forgiving in flight

I don't due extreme hunting so I don't really need an extreme arrow set-up. I feel we can still build arrows that will get us to the target quickly, quietly and efficiently while increasing our overall chances of success.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          There is very good info on this thread when It comes to arrows. I am knew to the FOC game. But muddy got me straightend out and built me some great arrows they are some hard hitting SOb'S!
          glad you like them and they are working well for you.

Comment

What's the difference on a pass through with a 390gr with a modest FOC arrow and a 500gr arrow with an FOC of 16%?

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              26.5 draw shooting a 5 pin tommy hog

What bow? Draw weight?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                What's the difference on a pass through with a 390gr with a modest FOC arrow and a 500gr arrow with an FOC of 16%?

My arrow weighs 411gr with 16% foc

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                  My arrow weighs 411gr with 16% foc
                  I'm shooting mr5 at 65 lbs. the arrow I hunted with last weekend was 566 gn with around 20 to 21 % foc. Now how much more penetration I have no ideal. Will I have more yes just because of what we all know about heavy vs lite arrows. I have no way to test. Will your arrow do the job. Yes it will. On just about all North America animals. Would I go moose hunting with it no. But I would hunt whitetail all day long

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                    I'm shooting mr5 at 65 lbs. the arrow I hunted with last weekend was 566 gn with around 20 to 21 % foc. Now how much more penetration I have no ideal. Will I have more yes just because of what we all know about heavy vs lite arrows. I have no way to test. Will your arrow do the job. Yes it will. On just about all North America animals. Would I go moose hunting with it no. But I would hunt whitetail all day long

Pm sent

Comment

zero=0

Comment

If you hit bone you don't have to worry

Comment

I think what a lot of people into and interested in or arguing against a high to extreme FOC is that with a high or higher FOC (15% or above) over lets say around 10% is that with a higher FOC I do believe you will see an increase in the accuracy and possibly forgiveness of that arrow. A higher FOC will have the front of the arrow basically "pulling" the arrow thru the flight plane rather than having the majority of the arrow weight "pushing" the tip. At least that is how I look at some of this. My reason for going to a lot heavier arrow with a high FOC was to get a quieter bow, a more accurate and more forgiving arrow and set up, which I did. Is it overkill for most everything in the states, YES, but it gives me a lot of confidence and that is what 99% of bowhunters need to look for is confidence in their selves, their equipment and their ability to use that equipment. Without that confidence, what do you have when it comes to taking that shot? I may be way off base on this, but those are my beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                            heavy/efoc arrows have their place in the hunting world, without a doubt but the average hunter stands more to gain from tightening his/her pins gaps (effectively increasing point blank range) while shooting an arrow with a decent amount of grains per # of draw weight. I have found that around 7 grains per # of draw weight we can still build an arrow that:
                            1. decreases vertical stringing due to a slightly faster trajectory
                            2. has good foc in the 18%+ range
                            3. provides good penetration characteristics
                            4. maintains proper efficiency with the bow
                            and
                            5. are forgiving in flight

I don't due extreme hunting so I don't really need an extreme arrow set-up. I feel we can still build arrows that will get us to the target quickly, quietly and efficiently while increasing our overall chances of success.
                            I wish I could figure out how to get a 31.5-32" arrow to have an 18% FOC at 7 grains per pound of draw weight...

Comment

Originally posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
                              I wish I could figure out how to get a 31.5-32" arrow to have an 18% FOC at 7 grains per pound of draw weight...

Me too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                                Me too!!!
                                Push button get with muddy talk to him about what u want he will get u there I garuntee it!

Comment

Working...
                                X