foot switch for grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Anybody use the foot switch from Harbor Freight? Is 15 amps heavy enough to run my grinder? Lem Mighty Bite #8. 500/1000 watt peak. Dont want to buy a switch only to overload and burn it up.
    Originally posted by ATI View Post
    I did several times, it goes to some weird website that's not even HF...
    I checked... and yeah, did the same for me too...

Comment

I did several times, it goes to some weird website that's not even HF...

your quote says harbor freight? TBH has been jacked up some so who knows

Comment

HF has three different Foot switches, "Moneraty", "Power Maintained" (both for $13.99) and the "TIG Remote control" for $80 (I think it's for welding?!)

which one is the right one for 1 HP Cabela's Grinder?
        Like Smart said... MOMENTARY is the one that most folks use... and is the style that the LEM one is and would in my opinion give yo the best control for stuffing....

But I may just go and by a Power Maintained one for general purpose grinding. When I am just grinding 20-50# of meat, I will often pause a couple times to swap out bowls, etc. and the reason I don't use the foot pedal is because believe it or not, keeping your foot on that thing while you are shuffling around is annoying (and one reason I don't use it most of the time since I stuff with a stuffer.) However, reaching over and flipping the switch with your hands is also annoying (because you know that is just another thing that needs to be wiped down. For $14... a regular foot switch would come in really handy (also allows you to put the switch on either side of the counter... whereas the switch on mine is always on one side and it isn't the most convenient side.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Yep... that's where they shine. I personally don't like stuffing casings with the grinder... I prefer a 25# stuffer for that. But I do grind burger directly into those plastic tape off bags and I can stop it right within a .05 of a pound with the foot pedal. Makes bagging up 25+ of burger go by real fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I love it with the auger extension for the tube/horn add on. No pulverizing and fast as hell. No loading of a stuffer or extra cleanup.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            your quote says harbor freight? TBH has been jacked up some so who knows
            I clicked on your link to... it goes here

If you mouse over it, that is the link that shows up... but... if you cut and paste the text into your browser... it goes to the switch you are talking about....

very weird.

Comment

I love it with the auger extension for the tube/horn add on. No pulverizing and fast as hell. No loading of a stuffer or extra cleanup.
              I bought the tubes for mine (LEM) with the stuffing plate. It seemed slow to me and not fast.... but could be my grinder. I have a #8 stainless big bite LEM so it isn't the most powerful in the world.

I completely agree, I bemoan having to clean yet another friggin thing... and when I just had the 5# stuffer... it was annoying as hell reloading that thing. When I invested in the 25# stuffer, I changed my tune alot... I do hate having to clean the darn thing... but for me. having the stuffing tube 1" off the table top and only having to apply pressure with a crank, that I can easily regulate speed/force and also back off... and not have to worry about heat build up... is what makes it worth it in the end.

I admit... I have a hard time stuffing the grinder, and holding the casing in the air as it comes off, and managing the foot pedal all that the same time. I'll admit I guess I am just not that coordinated. With the stuffer, it is crank and the other hand just holds the casing pressure and the finished stuffed casing just glides across the counter top. Don't have to coordinate much more than that.

Comment

But there is no way I'd stuff with a grinder without a foot pedal...

Comment

Yeah I have the 1 HP so that is probably makes a difference. This is the auger extension I was referring to below. I leave the star/T out as well. We do 300-400 lbs at a time so that little extension makes quick work of it and as you can see in the last picture the coarse integrity of the grind is kept in the casings so its not like hotdog sausage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5104.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24560288

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	24560289

Name:	SM3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	24560290..

Comment

Smart is right

If you use the extension on the grinder you will quit using a stuffer. Nothing is faster and easier than a grinder with the extension and a foot pedal.

You can use a kidney plate and add cheese to the sausage without chopping it all up. The plate works for boudin too

Comment

Just picked one up, the momentary model. Lookes all over the store. Electric cord aisle, no. Lighting aisle, no. Finally found it on the floor shelf under the grinding stones and belts.

Comment

My complaint with the grinder for stuffing is cramming the meat down the hole. The hole is probably larger on bigger grinders and less of an issue. I bought and restored a vintage 8 quart stuffer but have not used it yet.

Comment

Jason,
                          I should've bought all of those dadgum Cabela's ones on Clearance a couple of years ago.

I still kick myself for not....

Comment

Jason,
                            I should've bought all of those dadgum Cabela's ones on Clearance a couple of years ago.

I still kick myself for not....

Yup that was a heckuva deal at the time....I've done my fair share of hindsight purchase misses like that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Smart is right

screen shot!..

Comment

Yup that was a heckuva deal at the time....I've done my fair share of hindsight purchase misses like that myself.
                                There was a 2 HP in the bargain Cave for $599 for several months... I even picked it up and put it in a shopping cart once and then changed my mind on the way to the cash register,,, that thing was a MOSTER....

Comment

Working...
                                X