Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
    Truck engine lasted almost five years. 160K miles and the #6 cylinder lifter has gone out. After a lot of research it's a known issue. GM won't cover the cost to fix this mess. AFM causes an oil consumption problem. Which in turn causes a whole bunch of other issues. My engine is 5.3L

I still love this truck so I am getting a refurbished engine with a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=Ride
    the 100k mile warranty sounds good, but ask if the warranty covers parts AND labor. if you buy the engine from one place and have it installed at another, the labor is probably not covered. if the engine goes bad, youll have to pay to have the engine pulled and re installed. and you can bet, if the engine goes bad, its gonna be the installers fault, and it aint gonna be covered!

I just had a refurb installed in my 02 z71. 3/36000 warranty parts and labor. also had all new belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, sensors, water pump. so far, no issues.

Comment

Runs like a champ! Tuner will be ordered this Friday

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
        the 100k mile warranty sounds good, but ask if the warranty covers parts AND labor. if you buy the engine from one place and have it installed at another, the labor is probably not covered. if the engine goes bad, youll have to pay to have the engine pulled and re installed. and you can bet, if the engine goes bad, its gonna be the installers fault, and it aint gonna be covered!

I just had a refurb installed in my 02 z71. 3/36000 warranty parts and labor. also had all new belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, sensors, water pump. so far, no issues.

The shop added two year parts and labor for this job. I am good for two years at least. Jasper Engines is where the shop got my engine.

Comment

Sounds like you got a good deal! Helluva lot cheaper than a new truck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I wouldn't count on it. I saw ZERO mileage gains when I put a Diablo on my 2004.

But my main reason for getting it was to adjust shift points and speedometer since the tires were slightly larger than stock. It did make the throttle response more snappy which was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Those bigger tires more than likely offset the mileage gains you might have gotten I sacrificed about 2mpg when I changed the tune and shift points and re-calibrated for my bigger tires. Pulling my boat is a lot easier on the truck with the shift points changed.

Comment

Muzzlebrake you are an educated man.

You made this a nice read for me, thanks.

And I concur, get a tuner that will delete the AFM and roll on.

Or, find a guy that tunes with HP Tuner, or EFI live. Prolly about the same money and I believe you get a little better tune with the custom tune.

fwiw my 5.3 has over 320k never had an issue and I still drive it like I stole it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                I've got a 2013. Any info on the newer engines
                I heard they fixed the problem in 2012

Comment

From what I read the issues was fixed in 2015.

Comment

Got the Diablo tuner. Will do the DOD/AFM disable today!

Comment

Tuner was very simple to use

Comment

Were you able to tell a difference?

Comment

yes right away. I am considering doing the 87 Octane tune next.

Comment

Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by heyearl View Post
                              sorry to hear the motor going out
                              I hit 250k on mine 2001 5.7
                              still going strong
                              292,000 on my 2001 8.1 and she's lived a hard life

Comment

What diablo tuner did you end up with ?

Comment

Working...
                                X