Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    While I agree, couldn't the same thing be said when comparing crossbows to rifles? No way can a crossbow make a reliable, clean kill anywhere close to the ranges that an off the shelf rifle can. A crossbow isn't a bow no, but it's also not a rifle.

That being said, I have no problem with the current rules in either archery only counties or general counties.
    Mathews just released one that shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards. I'd wager the majority of Texas deer are killed with a rifle at closer than 100 yards

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      30 posts and still no real answer. I didn't realize crossbows were not allowed in Archery only counties. I agree with the OP that is doesn't make sense to allow anyone to use crossbows during the Archery only season in every county except for the Archery only counties
      Crossbows are allowed in archery only counties during the general season

Comment

I live in one of the archery only counties. I personally am happy they aren't allowed during the general season. I hunt my small property only when the wind and weather are right all season long. Yea, there is always a chance of something huge walking by but I usually don't see a thing. We don't have the numbers of deer a lot of other counties do. So I'm glad my county makes people put forth a little more effort to hunt the bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
          Mathews just released one that shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards. I'd wager the majority of Texas deer are killed with a rifle at closer than 100 yards
          Shooting a bow to it's maximum achievable accuracy is much much much harder than shooting a gun to its maximum achievable accuracy. I'm sure many bows have incredible accuracy capable of hitting a small spot at extreme distances. Wether or not a human can make that shot is a different story. Just as many rifles are capable of accurate shots at extreme distances, with the shooter being the variable.

I would argue there is a VERY small number of people on earth that can truly shoot a rifle to it's accuracy potential. I'd argue there are far fewer that can shoot a bow to its accuracy potential.

All that is being said with zero mind towards the slow speed of an arrow and how quickly a deer could move on a 100yd shot from a bow.

Now what crossbow should I buy?

Comment

Crossbows are like rifles. They require no skill. My boys hunt with one. I know.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
              As I read the regulations, there are 4 "Archery Only" counties in Texas.
              In all other counties, crossbows are considered "archery" equipment.
              In the 4 "Archery Only" counties, crossbows are not allowed during the "Archery Season".
              Explain the thinking behind this.
              Wait! What? There are four archery only counties? Who are the other three?

Comment

Because the state probably knows it shouldn't be legal.. (unless it's someone with a disability)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                  When you shoot a crossbow, it's not archery. That's my thinking
                  ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Wait! What? There are four archery only counties? Who are the other three?
                    Collin Dallas Rockwall Greyson

Comment

I hate the things. Can't explain why. Starting to hate compounds also. I would be good if both were outlawed in all counties. Hopefully some day, some of the guys using crossbows and compounds will get bored with the simplicity of the things and decide to really learn the sport of archery. It is fascinating what all is involved in making two sticks and a string shoot consistently.

Comment

Crossbows are doing to archery what In-line muzzleloaders have done to muzzle loader season.
                        Pick up any hunting magazine and all you see is advertisements for crossbows.
                        Folks now days want to take the easy way over putting in a little effort, and the excuse used is "I just don't have the time!"
                        The manufacturers see the market and fill the demand, and you can't blame them.

Comment

Definition of archery
                          1 :the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

I don't equate crossbows and bows at the same skill level. However, the definition is in the name so .....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                            When you shoot a crossbow, it's not archery. That's my thinking
                            Yep. It's hunting with a crossbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Collin Dallas Rockwall Greyson
                              Crossbows are legal in all of these counties.
                              Last edited by DarrellS; 10-13-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                                Crossbows are kinda like a 9mm......most people that shoot them squat to pee.
                                Easy....EASY...

Comment

Working...
                                X