I made a two brick forge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, LM.

I just came up with a way I might be able to heat treat my Bowie! I can make a forge as long as I want by cutting each brick in half, creating brick squares, then drilling holes through each square individually, then stacking them together as long as I want, then binding them together with angle irons and long bolts. I just wonder if I can get it to heat evenly the whole length. It's worth trying, though, right?
    Attached Files

Comment

Could always use more than one heat source as well

Comment

That's a good point.

Comment

I think you have a good idea there Sam. The multiple heat sources is an idea. Just make sure you are keeping the blade moving so it gets heated evenly. Here is a good video by Josh Dabney. It shows him heat treating in a paint can forge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krsBhKMe1Yw"]hardening vid 007 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

this is what I used when i first started out. The ammo can protected the brittle fire brick. I used a high heat or fire place caulk to bond the two pieces of fire brick together and to the bottom of the ammo can. It worked well for me at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
              Good job on the forge Sam! Living in Austin, possibly there is a local knife maker or even a pottery sculptor that you could hook up with an use their oven for the big Bowie?

curtisk on here I think is from down there (cs/bryan) if I remember right from reading one of his posts today.

Comment

Sam , will you be posting info on your forge on your web site?

Comment

I wasn't planning on it, Ex Sparker. I did try to make a video while I was building it, but the camera shut off in the middle of it. I'll have to make another one if I want to do a video.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                    Maybe on my next knife, I'll try tempering it with the blow torch.
                    NO; it's too easy to get it too hot and it's rarely even. Two, two hour tempers will do it. I'd put in in the oven again for another two hours, the color is from the oil residue. All you did was hot blue the knife a little bit. That happens to me when I don't clean off the knife before I temper it; sometimes I get lazy. but on my second temper use my scotch belt on the entire knife.

Comment

Thanks, Bjankowski.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                        I knew knife maker who had a nice big forge, but he sold it. A potter sculptor is a good idea, though! Maybe I could put an ad on craigslist and see if I can find somebody.
                        Sam I could heat treat it for ya I'm only 40 minutes from austin

Comment

Great ideas

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                            Sam I could heat treat it for ya I'm only 40 minutes from austin
                            That is really nice of you! I'll send you a private message.

Comment

Where did you get your fire bricks I'm looking for some?

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                                Where did you get your fire bricks I'm looking for some?
                                High temp tools has them.

Comment

Working...
                                X