Almost ready....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost ready....

Set up my hog trap today after it's been in mothballs for a year or so. I put it in a place where someone can get to it in all weathers, but probably not in the "best" place to catch hogs. The best place might be hard to get in and out of when it's wet. Nevertheless, since they travel my entire place, I expect they'll find the free corn plenty quick. I want to find someone to come pick them up, so I won't have to fool with them. Since there is a buyer pretty close, I'm thinking that won't be hard to do.

I still have to set up my cell camera to see if it has enough service there to work, as Verizon can be iffy there and AT&T is nil. If the Verizon cam works, I'll be adding a wireless trigger so that I can monitor the trap as well as drop the gate remotely. Wish me luck, these hogs are killing me !
    Attached Files

Get Em!

Comment

Man nice setup! You could make your money back renting that thing in Goliad County.

Comment

Meanwhile, on the home place, the hog control marches on, one frickin hog at a time. I tried for ten minutes to get a twofer, but they just never would line up right.
        Attached Files

Comment

They are totally nocturnal at my farm now, I have hunted them hard enough that they know daylight is danger. I just planted my winter plots and the hogs were already in them the same night. We caught 10 in a round trap, but after that the hogs would not go near it.
          My problem is the Nutgrass and trying to control it, Gly slows it down but it comes back and so do the hogs. If I could string up electric fence about twelve inches high and run 480v thru it.....boy you can smell the pork chops cooking now.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Set up my hog trap today after it's been in mothballs for a year or so. I put it in a place where someone can get to it in all weathers, but probably not in the "best" place to catch hogs. The best place might be hard to get in and out of when it's wet. Nevertheless, since they travel my entire place, I expect they'll find the free corn plenty quick. I want to find someone to come pick them up, so I won't have to fool with them. Since there is a buyer pretty close, I'm thinking that won't be hard to do.

I still have to set up my cell camera to see if it has enough service there to work, as Verizon can be iffy there and AT&T is nil. If the Verizon cam works, I'll be adding a wireless trigger so that I can monitor the trap as well as drop the gate remotely. Wish me luck, these hogs are killing me !
            Might want to reinforce your panels with a few more t-posts for more strength and stabilization. I could be wrong, but not sure what distance you have between each one. I would put at least another one in between each of them and wire them in good. My .02

Good luck and hope you get the herd caught at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
              Might want to reinforce your panels with a few more t-posts for more strength and stabilization. I could be wrong, but not sure what distance you have between each one. I would put at least another one in between each of them and wire them in good. My .02

Good luck and hope you get the herd caught at once.
              Thanks for the advice. I don't expect to catch any hogs that can break out of that. I had it in operation for two years, caught as many as seventeen at the same time set up just like this. Never had any escapees. When they hit the panels it just bounces them back. Most of the truly big hogs (150 and up) won't go in a trap. If you leave them long enough, they'll root out I imagine, but I don't intend to leave them that long.

Comment

Drycreek, I'm curious what remote trigger you intend on using. Is there a way to component out a Jager style set up

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Drycreek, I'm curious what remote trigger you intend on using. Is there a way to component out a Jager style set up
                  I'm planning on using this one from Hogtech. I've been in touch with Keith (huntingfanatic), who works there, and I think this one will work. I'll have to fabricate a mount, but that should be easy. My gate is 8' wide and 5' tall, but doesn't weigh that much. One man can raise and pin it if he has to, and the controller has a 50# pull so that should work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice trap! I love the drop down vertical gate.

Can you post more pics of your gate and trip method?

Comment

Thanks ! I'll get some better pics next time I'm down there. When I had it set up before, the trigger was 100% redneck engineering. There's a small length of tubing welded to the frame. Lift the gate up, push a very large nail through the tubing until it's holding up the gate. A washer is welded to the nail head, and a cable is connected to the washer. The cable runs to the back of the trap to a T post. The T post has a "cap" on it made from square tubing with a hook welded to it. A small pulley hangs on the hook. The cable runs through this pulley and is connected to a five gallon bucket about 2/3rds full of dirt. The bucket sits on a board that sits on a ledge on the T post, but is propped up by a short piece of pipe on the other end. The corn is spread around the pipe. The pigs come in, root and feed around the pipe, eventually knock it over, dropping the bucket, pulling the nail, and the hogs are 30/35 feet away. They're caught !

The trouble with that is twofold. Coons can trigger the trap. The first hogs in can trigger the trap and leave more hogs outside. Now, I know that Jager-Pro recommends not triggering the trap until all the hogs are in, but if this thing works as planned, I'm all about catching MOST of the hogs. I've learned this: If you know you have some smaller pigs in the trap, approach the trap from downwind, sit down and wait because the sow is out there somewhere and she will eventually show herself. Better that you get there in the dark and use night vision. I've even had the sow still hanging around with seven 50/60 lb. pigs in the trap. We trapped 17 once and the sow and a young boar didn't go in. My buddy killed her a couple nights later with NV still hanging in the vicinity.

Comment

Thanks! I need to look into this. I don't have a hog "problem" per se, but they have become more regular. I don't feed corn or anything. They just don't come around enough to hunt them.

Comment

Good luck with the trapping.

Comment

If you get the wireless trigger running properly you will never trap hogs the old fashioned way again.

Comment

Is that a 4ft. fence?

Comment

Working...
                              X