Which would you choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which would you choose

Very new to long range shooting and have been reading tons of info. I was leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor but I’ve also thought about the 300 win mag and 7mag. Realistically max I’d shoot hunting would be 500 with most shots closer to 100-200 yards. From what I’ve read is each of the three calibers I listed are all similar for what I want to do. Just indecisive I guess. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the 300 win mag.
    This recommendation is based off Chris Kyle's book, American Sniper, as he preferred this round over the .50 cal for long range shots as the ballistics were consistent.

Comment

id do 6.5 cm. at those ranges it will perform great and a lot less recoil to induce flinching

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would prefer a 7 mm Winchester Short mag, but those are hard to find. The short fat cases result in more uniform burning of powder, so more consistent pressures, which result in more consistent velocity and accuracy. But I can tell you that a common 7 mm Rem Mag can shoot some very accurate groups, ballistically, it can be one serious rifle. If I was looking at doing a 30 caliber magnum, I would seriously consider the 300 Norma. My second choice for a 30 caliber magnum round would be the 300 Winchester Short Mag, again, because of the short fat case.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty good little caliber for short action round. But it's not a magnum caliber, for a short action caliber, it has some pretty good potential. I may chamber one of my rifles for 6.5 Creedmoor. I was looking at doing a 6.5X47 Lapua, but it will cost me the same to do a Lapua or a Creedmoor. The Creedmoor has a little larger case and is a lot more common. So brass would be much easier to get. But the Lapua should produce very similar velocities and possibly slightly more accurate. But both rounds are probably extremely accurate, from what I can see of the case design.

Comment

Originally posted by G5-Maniac View Post
          Very new to long range shooting and have been reading tons of info. I was leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor but I’ve also thought about the 300 win mag and 7mag. Realistically max I’d shoot hunting would be 500 with most shots closer to 100-200 yards. From what I’ve read is each of the three calibers I listed are all similar for what I want to do. Just indecisive I guess. Thanks

Are you hand loading or limited to off the shelf ammo?

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

I would pick the 300wm. I just not a huge creedmore fan, even though it's great on paper. 7mag would be my distant 2nd choice. The only 7mag I've ever shot was an older Tupperware ruger and the recoil kinda ruined me on the round. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them for what you are looking for. 300 Winchester Magnum just has a certain ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              Are you hand loading or limited to off the shelf ammo?

Off the shelf ammo unless I find someone that reloads in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by G5-Maniac View Post
                Off the shelf ammo unless I find someone that reloads in my area.

I was buying .300 win mag for around $17 or $18 abox at academy but they just went up to around $20 or $21.

Comment

What are you hunting? Experience level with hard recoiling rifles?

If just hunting deer and hogs no need IMO for a magnum.
                  Recoil of a magnum unless you put a break or suppressor on it will limit shooting without undue punishment unless you are really accustomed to recoil, even then it becomes tiresome if you shoot a lot.
                  Ammo, there are custom manufactures that will ship ammo to you that is better than factory stuff and not much higher priced.

Sure the magnums work and flatten out trajectory to an extend and lessen wind calls if you use high BC bullets in them but the 7mm-08, Creedmoor, 260 and a host of others will get you there with much less punch to the shoulder and fatigue from shooting.
                  Last edited by kmon; 11-13-2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    I was buying .300 win mag for around $17 or $18 abox at academy but they just went up to around $20 or $21.

Factory gun running factory match ammo with stated 500 yard goal, the 6.5CM will be hard to beat. Easy on the pocketbook and your shoulder!

Comment

Factory gun running factory match ammo with stated 500 yard goal, the 6.5CM will be hard to beat. Easy on the pocketbook and your shoulder!

Sorry Black Ice, quoted the wrong post!

Comment

Which would you choose

I bought a 300 win mag that I can shoot all day. Honestly I would rather shoot my .300 win mag over my .243 Sako. The only gun that is more pleasant to shoot is my heavy barrel 22/250.

Last edited by Black Ice; 11-14-2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          What are you hunting? Experience level with hard recoiling rifles?

If just hunting deer and hogs no need IMO for a magnum.
                          Recoil of a magnum unless you put a break or suppressor on it will limit shooting without undue punishment unless you are really accustomed to recoil, even then it becomes tiresome if you shoot a lot.
                          Ammo, there are custom manufactures that will ship ammo to you that is better than factory stuff and not much higher priced.

Sure the magnums work and flatten out trajectory to an extend and lessen wind calls if you use high BC bullets in them but the 7mm-08, Creedmoor, 260 and a host of others will get you there with much less punch to the shoulder and fatigue from shooting.

Plans for anything from hogs to elk eventually. Only rifle I’ve shot consistently is an old 30.06 my great grandfather had gave me which kicks pretty good. The guys I’m going to be shooting with have 300s and 7mags which I’ve shot theirs and recoil wasn’t horrible.

Most I’ve seen to compare all three was the difference in recoil and cost of ammo.

500 yards is my goal but for target shooting 1000 would be awesome eventually. Which I’ve seen videos of the 6.5 doing.

Comment

You have a good elk rifle with the 30-06, Creedmoor will do deer and hogs easily enough to 500 yards and targets to 1k. Heck in the past the 30-06 was used that far in matches.

For more fun shooting in longer sessions I would go with the Creedmoor and it has worked for many on elk, not sure I would trust past 400 but with the right bullet in the right place it will do the job. Most of the elk I have killed would have been just as dead from the Creedmoor as what I shot them with. The last elk I killed was shot at about 250 yards with a 6.5-284

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon51 View Post
                              Do the 300 win mag.
                              This recommendation is based off Chris Kyle's book, American Sniper, as he preferred this round over the .50 cal for long range shots as the ballistics were consistent.
                              Come on now....

I'd take the 7 over the other 2. Only way that 300 will outrun the 300 is with the 200+ grain bullets. You won't tell the 7 and 300 apart at 500 though. Both are easily capable of 1 mile +. The creedmoor, while good for what it is, is not in the same ballpark as those 2.

For example on the 7....I'm running a 180 grain Berger at 3070 FPS. 5.3 mils at 1000 depending on elevation and pressure and wind. That 6.5 won't even come close to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X