No announcement yet.

Whos liable in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Thumper; 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Here my .02¢
      If they're using my water, I'd cap it.

If they have their own meter and don't want to help fix it I'd cap it.

Either way I'd paint a few posts around my property purple and call it good.

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 12-30-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Have to agree with Turkeyhunter. Fix it and you are acknowledging they have ownership of water line on your land

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          Just found out that they knew the waterline was unrecorded and through my property when they bought their place. They never told me anything about it. I am not liable for anything. They were advised to talk with me about relocating their water meter but never did.
          Who did you find this out from? Is it the truth?

Comment

I cant believe so many people have so many problems with their neighbors on here. Over little things...

Comment

Update: After informing them I dont have to do anything or let anyone on my land to fix it, they decided to be friendly. I told them if they want it fixed they can do it themselves or hire whoever they want and gave them till noon tomm. They also will be helping with fence now.

Comment

Update: After informing them I dont have to do anything or let anyone on my land to fix it, they decided to be friendly. I told them if they want it fixed they can do it themselves or hire whoever they want and gave them till noon tomm. They also will be helping with fence now.
                So it all worked out, good news.

Comment

My property has a private waterline that runs about 500 yards thru it. The other day while grubbing some mesquite I hit it. I had no idea there was a waterline on my property. I bought the land a year ago and there are no easements according to title search. I contacted water company and they said that it was an unrecorded waterline put in many years ago for a cattle trough. Now someone has a house that runs off it where the trough used to be. The owners want me to pay to fix. I was told I could just say no and for them to stay off my property if I wanted to be an ***. Anyone have some advice I would appreciate it.
                  Sorry if this has been stated but there's a lot of bad info in here.

If there is no easement, you own the water line. Water company knows this. You can and should sell them a recorded easement OR have a new line installed at their cost that is out of your way.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                    Sounds like your neighbor needs to contact the water company to purchase an easement or re-route the line off your property.
                    Bingo! If you tried the friendly neighbor route with no success, this would be my stance.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Im guessing public utility ends at the meter and the line from there to the house is not public.
                      Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Nike View Post
                        Sorry if this has been stated but there's a lot of bad info in here.

If there is no easement, you own the water line. Water company knows this. You can and should sell them a recorded easement OR have a new line installed at their cost that is out of your way.

This. Not your line+no records of said line=not your expense to bear. Talk to neighbors and be respectful as in they probably didn't know it was on your property either, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad it will work out for you in the positive. Now maybe you can have some positive interactions with the neighborly people at the end of your water line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you got it resolved .

Comment

Saw the update, but I gotta ask...do the neighbors know the price of a water well versus a fence? 100 ft water well is $6k. 500 ft is 12k...and these prices are cheap. They need to reroute their water line. They knew, they just chose to ignore the line which wasn’t cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                                Saw the update, but I gotta ask...do the neighbors know the price of a water well versus a fence? 100 ft water well is $6k. 500 ft is 12k...and these prices are cheap. They need to reroute their water line. They knew, they just chose to ignore the line which wasn’t cool.
                                I have no idea what they know. I do know that I drilled three separate holes on my property all the way to 200 feet each and did not hit water. One of them was about 100 feet from their property line.

Comment

Working...
                                X