No announcement yet.

Building an bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Creedmore barreled actions are $1699 from Alamo Precision.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
      6.5 Creedmore barreled actions are $1699 from Alamo Precision.
      Which barrel and action would that be?

Comment

You can spend from $1300 to $4000 building a custom rifle. Parts include an: action, barrel, stock, trigger, and bottom metal. You will need a gunsmith to do the machine work and bedding of barreled action to stock.

Actions: .... $325 to $500 for factory donor action

-Remington 700, Savage, Browning, Ruger, etc...
        -Then it's recommended to have the action trued/blue-printed - $200
        -Other actions will work, but the 700 is most popular and has the most aftermkt accessories.

Actions: .... $950 to $1600 for custom

-lots to choose from: Curtis, Stolle / Kelbly, Farley, BAT, Borden, Stiller, Defiance, ....
        -then select options: s.s. or c.m., single shot, bolt fluting, coned or straight bolt face, repeater, R/L bolt, R/L port, ejector, cerakote or nitrided finish

Barrels:

-You will need to decide on brand, contour, caliber, length, fluting, twist, stainless, chrome-moly, carbon wrapped ...
        - GS will fit, chamber, and crown barrel onto your action. You choose the cartridge, and GS can cut chamber for your specific bullet of choice. Cost will be $250 to $400 depending on GS. Threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake installed cost extra.

Stock: ... $225 for a used HS take-off up to $1800 for the mack-daddy
        Manners and McMillans run $550 - $1100 depending on options.
        - GS will charge $250 to $400 to pillar and glass bed action.
        - Stocks with a chassis system do not need to be bedded, yet cost more $$$.
        - Stock finish is a matter of personal choice: McSwirly, painted, cerakoted, splotches, etc...

Trigger: ... tuned factory $75, Jewell $225, Timney $125-175, Bix-n-Andy $375
        - custom triggers can be set from 1 ounce to 3 lbs

Bottom Metal: ..... $0 to $400
        - ADL blind magazine will not cost you any $, factory BDL style $125, Detach Mag with AI type magazine $200 , HS with magazine $375, ....

Probably missed a few things but that's pretty close. Most people will buy parts separately and send to GS, or the GS can order all the parts for you. If you're tight with the GS, a rifle can be built in 2-3 weeks. Lead or delivery time can vary from 6 months to 12+ months depending on the GS and how popular he is. If only building 1 rifle, build it exactly how you want it. This stuff is highly addictive and you will likely be planning your next build once shooting your new toy.

Comment

Blake hits the nail on the head again.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Building an bolt action?

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
            Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if it’s worth it or not.

Very nice rifle is the easy part. Saving money isn’t. What is your primary goal with this? There are a lot of really good factory rifles for a LOT less than you will spend on a build.

I’m not trying to talk you out of a build but you can spend a lot of money for marginal gains over a higher end factory rifle.

The biggest gain to building vs buying is getting the exact stock you want, trigger you want, barrel length, twist, contour and finish that you want. But all of that can come at a hefty price tag.

Based on your responses I think you need to do some more homework and ask a lot more questions before shelling out your hard earned money on something you don’t know a lot about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Mike D; 12-06-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              Which barrel and action would that be?

Curtis Action, choice of 3 premium barrels and 6 chamberings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                You can spend from $1300 to $4000 building a custom rifle. Parts include an: action, barrel, stock, trigger, and bottom metal. You will need a gunsmith to do the machine work and bedding of barreled action to stock.

Actions: .... $325 to $500 for factory donor action

-Remington 700, Savage, Browning, Ruger, etc...
                -Then it's recommended to have the action trued/blue-printed - $200
                -Other actions will work, but the 700 is most popular and has the most aftermkt accessories.

Actions: .... $950 to $1600 for custom

-lots to choose from: Curtis, Stolle / Kelbly, Farley, BAT, Borden, Stiller, Defiance, ....
                -then select options: s.s. or c.m., single shot, bolt fluting, coned or straight bolt face, repeater, R/L bolt, R/L port, ejector, cerakote or nitrided finish

Barrels:

-You will need to decide on brand, contour, caliber, length, fluting, twist, stainless, chrome-moly, carbon wrapped ...
                - GS will fit, chamber, and crown barrel onto your action. You choose the cartridge, and GS can cut chamber for your specific bullet of choice. Cost will be $250 to $400 depending on GS. Threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake installed cost extra.

Stock: ... $225 for a used HS take-off up to $1800 for the mack-daddy
                Manners and McMillans run $550 - $1100 depending on options.
                - GS will charge $250 to $400 to pillar and glass bed action.
                - Stocks with a chassis system do not need to be bedded, yet cost more $$$.
                - Stock finish is a matter of personal choice: McSwirly, painted, cerakoted, splotches, etc...

Trigger: ... tuned factory $75, Jewell $225, Timney $125-175, Bix-n-Andy $375
                - custom triggers can be set from 1 ounce to 3 lbs

Bottom Metal: ..... $0 to $400
                - ADL blind magazine will not cost you any $, factory BDL style $125, Detach Mag with AI type magazine $200 , HS with magazine $375, ....

Probably missed a few things but that's pretty close. Most people will buy parts separately and send to GS, or the GS can order all the parts for you. If you're tight with the GS, a rifle can be built in 2-3 weeks. Lead or delivery time can vary from 6 months to 12+ months depending on the GS and how popular he is. If only building 1 rifle, build it exactly how you want it. This stuff is highly addictive and you will likely be planning your next build once shooting your new toy.

Good write up! Thanks Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Very nice rifle is the easy part. Saving money isn’t. What is your primary goal with this? There are a lot of really good factory rifles for a LOT less than you will spend on a build.

I’m not trying to talk you out of a build but you can spend a lot of money for marginal gains over a higher end factory rifle.

The biggest gain to building vs buying is getting the exact stock you want, trigger you want, barrel length, twist, contour and finish that you want. But all of that can come at a hefty price tag.

Based on your responses I think you need to do some more homework and ask a lot more questions before shelling out your hard earned money on something you don’t know a lot about.

I may go with a factory rifle, not sure yet. But I do want it the way I would like. I buy a lot of things I don’t need. Haha

Comment

OP ... do you handload , and into wildcats that require brass prep ?

I'm fixing to sell a mint condition 6x47 Lapua barrelled action, 1:8" Bartlien barrel, Greg Tannel trued blueprinted and bushed bolt, Rem 700 (early 70's action), < 300 rds fired. Whenever it stops raining, sleeting, and snowing I'll take pics and list it in the classifieds. Also have a Manners MCS-T bedded by SAC (short Action Customs) but not sure I wanna part with it

Comment

I'm fixing to sell a mint condition 6x47 Lapua barrelled action, 1:8" Bartlien barrel, Greg Tannel trued blueprinted and bushed bolt, Rem 700 (early 70's action), < 300 rds fired. Whenever it stops raining, sleeting, and snowing I'll take pics and list it in the classifieds. Also have a Manners MCS-T bedded by SAC (short Action Customs) but not sure I wanna part with it

Oh my!

Comment

I need to block you for awhile haha

Comment

Stop it Blake! [emoji15]

Comment

I have a question maybe blake or someone else can answer. Why does the win. modle 70 get no love on here? We hardly ever see them for sale or to build off of

Comment

Glad I’m toy money broke

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
                                I may go with a factory rifle, not sure yet. But I do want it the way I would like. I buy a lot of things I don’t need. Haha
                                As Mike stated, you can buy a nice factory gun and fix it to your liking. If you do it right, it will be very accurate and exactly what you want. I considered a custom, but instead went with a Tikka, swapped the stock out and spent the money saved on good glass. The only other thing I will end up doing is have the action bedded and may one day drop a Timney in them. As it sits though, they are really good looking guns that shoot less than .5 moa with my handloads. Glass and all, I’m all in for about $1,600.

Hmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X