Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice

Comment

Really cool post. Only thing I have to add to this is when the limit was 10 fish I caught more and bigger trout. Doesn't make sense to me but that is in my experience. I will continue to guide but will also be changing tactics and fishing new water to avoid crowds/find bigger fish. Night time lure fishing is still very productive for solid and big trout.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
        Really cool post. Only thing I have to add to this is when the limit was 10 fish I caught more and bigger trout. Doesn't make sense to me but that is in my experience. I will continue to guide but will also be changing tactics and fishing new water to avoid crowds/find bigger fish. Night time lure fishing is still very productive for solid and big trout.
        I've got to try this night time lure fishing thing... I've never done it in salt water, I have for BASS, but I know guys that are dead serious about it for trout..

Comment

I love topwater fishing under a full moon. Listen for the slurp and hang on

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
            The 5 fish limit down south is helping a ton. The bays last year were as healthy as I've ever seen. This year I have just had bad timing and can't get the wind to blow less than 20mph on my weekends off. But I'd say that fishing is as good as I've ever seen it on the bay I fish. The big girls are still there
            I just got back from POC, and the trout we caught there, and it was a lot of them, were easily 3-4 inches shorter than the average trout that I catch in Galveston and Freeport. Say what you want, the gill net surveys prove that Galveston and Sabine have a thriving trout population. I don't see a need for reducing the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              I just got back from POC, and the trout we caught there, and it was a lot of them, were easily 3-4 inches shorter than the average trout that I catch in Galveston and Freeport. Say what you want, the gill net surveys prove that Galveston and Sabine have a thriving trout population. I don't see a need for reducing the limit.

I don't consider POC south, I'm talking Mansfield and Baffin up to corpus. Again I'm just going off my experience, about 25 or so trips a year. I've never fished north of the JFK causeway though.

Comment

Whats the difference with the trout population between texas coast and louisiana coast besides the Mississippi river? I grew up in south louisiana with a 25 trout limit minimum 12”. The numbers are unreal. In a typical afternoon, we can catch 150-200 trout using artificial. However, in spring and early fall, we would wait for the right tide and wind and end up with limits of 20+ inch fish. And the population does not diminish from year to year. Why are they so slow to grow and populate on the texas coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What about the sheer volume of food the shrimpers take out of the bay every year?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                    Whats the difference with the trout population between texas coast and louisiana coast besides the Mississippi river? I grew up in south louisiana with a 25 trout limit minimum 12”. The numbers are unreal. In a typical afternoon, we can catch 150-200 trout using artificial. However, in spring and early fall, we would wait for the right tide and wind and end up with limits of 20+ inch fish. And the population does not diminish from year to year. Why are they so slow to grow and populate on the texas coast?

The Mississippi River is the big difference. It fuels the greatest estuary system in North America with fresh water and sediment. This makes the Mississippi Delta the greatest fish hatchery in the US by far and one of the greatest in the world.

In drought, there are rivers in Texas that have negative inflows into the bay systems after every city, industry, and farmer sticks his straw in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      What about the sheer volume of food the shrimpers take out of the bay every year?

There aren't very many bay shrimpers left in Texas. Licenses were frozen in 1995 and about 2/3 have been bought back since then. Something like 1000 licenses left.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I love topwater fishing under a full moon. Listen for the slurp and hang on
                        Yup, and when they won't eat a topwater we just throw paddle tails at them.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          The Mississippi River is the big difference. It fuels the greatest estuary system in North America with fresh water and sediment. This makes the Mississippi Delta the greatest fish hatchery in the US by far and one of the greatest in the world.

In drought, there are rivers in Texas that have negative inflows into the bay systems after every city, industry, and farmer sticks his straw in.
                          This is exactly the reason..

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            There aren't very many bay shrimpers left in Texas. Licenses were frozen in 1995 and about 2/3 have been bought back since then. Something like 1000 licenses left.
                            Yep back in the 70's and 80's bay shrimpers were everywhere.. They were part of the landscape out there much like the many reefs and bay houses..
                            The lack of bay houses and shrimp boats seems strange to me.. I grew up with them..
                            When we ride down the bayous and through the bay's now I'm always telling my kids and wife were the bayhouses and bait camps used to be.. Nothing there now. Not even pilings.. All just a memory..

Comment

X2. Saw alot better size when we were allowed 10 instead of 5 in the laguna. We have to wade through the dinks now to catch our limit. You would think it would be the opposite especially now that you can only keep one over 25.... there is also more catch and release now than there ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
                                Thanks for the share. That’s incredible to think speckled troutthat size were around
                                Big trout are still in the bays, but you're not gonna catch em when there are 6,457 boats running around 24/7 keeping them spooked

Comment

Working...
                                X