Bowhunter Dead-Fell Out Of Treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
    I do every time. My 6 YO daughter doesn't want to grow up without a daddy. And I don't want to live through it only to have my wife have to change my diaper because I'm a quadripligic.
    Are you in that much of a hurry that its worth not taking the few minutes needed?
    I don't hunt out of tall trees. We don't have tall trees. The highest is about 10 foot to the bottom of the stand.

Not in a hurry. Just don't see the need in my situation.

Comment

Horrible.

Comment

Chad, jump off your house onto your back, and see if you have a need then. Even 10 feet can kill or maim you!! You really should wear a harness and safety system IMO!

Comment

That is terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            I don't hunt out of tall trees. We don't have tall trees. The highest is about 10 foot to the bottom of the stand.

Not in a hurry. Just don't see the need in my situation.
            Think about it this way..
            Stand on the first step of a step ladder.. close your eyes and have some one push you off.
            now think about the actions your body just did , repeating your attempt to land on your feet from 10 feet, with gear on, smacking screw in steps, ladder segments, branches etc.. on the way down...
            10 feet doesn't sound like a lot.. (and admittingly, we dont have safety lines on our 10-15 2 man ladder stands...) but i could see the same amount of carnage happened in 10 feet as in 15, 20, 30...

Comment

If you are not connected from the time your feet leave the ground until your feet return to the ground you are risking life or limbs. 70 to 80% of treestand accidents occur while climbing up and entering or exiting and climbing down. Always use a climbing belt to secure your lifeline and then always stay connected to your life line while climbing up and down and to the tree while on stand. Anything else is unacceptable and will get you hurt or dead sooner or later. Think about your family. Be safe.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

Comment

After reading...

quick question.

How many of y'all tether all the way up/down to/from your stand?

I can honstly say, I don't...

I also don't hunt out of many trees or trees that are straight.

I use a lineman's belt now. This is my 1st year to do so and it makes a world of difference. It is really handy when strapping sticks to the tree. I will have to unhook it if there are branches on the way up still. I did buy some climbing rope to make life lines but haven't done so yet

Comment

That's terrible. RIP

Anyone hunting the tall stuff should strap up, or come hunt with me. Trees are so short your toes will drag the ground from the stand.

Comment

As a fire/rescue personal i have ran a call from a treestand fall. Its not a good situation and it takes a long time to usually find where the hunter is. So lets all be safe and wear our harnesses. If you dont have one i have a few cheaper ones laying around. There better than nothing. Thoughts and prayers sent that way ...

Comment

I do wear a harness when I'm in the tree. Ok. Guys... Im not an idiot. I know if a fell on my head or back it could kill me.

The trees our stand are in "are not straight" and we typically use branches in the process of getting in the stand. I tether once I'm about six feet off the ground. This is where it becomes feasible for most of our tree stands.

My question is for those that hunt 18 feet up! Do you tether all the way up and all the way down from your stand... I should have clarified before I got my chops busted!

Comment

I do wear a harness when I'm in the tree. Ok. Guys... Im not an idiot. I know if a fell on my head or back it could kill me.

The trees our stand are in "are not straight" and we typically use branches in the process of getting in the stand. I tether once I'm about six feet off the ground. This is where it becomes feasible for most of our tree stands.

My question is for those that hunt 18 feet up! Do you tether all the way up and all the way down from your stand... I should have clarified before I got my chops busted!

I understood you Chad

Comment

sad news, prayers up for the McKinsey familly

Comment

My harness is connected to the safety line the entire time. we use a weird slide knot that slips when slid by grasping the knot, but tightens when moved by the connection to the harness. (cannot remember the name of it for the life of me... )
                            so we use it as the safety line and the harness connection while on stand.. it never comes off unless your feet are touching ground.

Comment

Not trying to bust your chops. Just trying to point out the need for safety at all stages of climbing. And YES. When hanging my stands I use a combination of lineman's belt and harness loop to set climbing sticks. And I am never NOT connected to the tree. Then after I hang the stand I attach the upper end of my lifeline to the tree. Then climb down still using my harness/LB combo. Once I reach the ground, I disconnect and tie off the lower end of the life line. Then I reclimb the tree while attached and check the stand placement and set up.

Takes a while, but it is worth it to me.

it is a prussic knot BTW!

Comment

Sad Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X